Tramping routes?

Hi there! Me and a couple of friends walked the Southern Upland Way in Scotland a few years ago, and wonder if there is an equivalent for this in NZ? This route was marked, and we used a supplying book to travel coast to coast at our own pace, and slept wherever we could find a camping spot or tavern. Are there any unguided coast-to-coast routes on NZ? Or any other routes where you don't need a guide? And are there any routes that pass through several of the beautiful landscapes of New Zealand? We have a tent and know how to use it. :o)
I do not know of any yet but there will be a track from the top of the north island to the bottom of the south island soon, hopefully by 2008. Check it out at http://www.teararoa.org.nz/
I am interested in updates on tramping routes in Ruahine Forest Park specially The Central Ruahine Range in The North Island. Park map with scale 1:100000 was published in 1995! How does a tramper, a visitor get to the park if without private transport?
Dztramping - you need the 1;50,000 "topo" map of the Ruahines, which is readily available in NZ. The Park Map is useless. The Ruahines are a great range to tramp in, but can be challenging in places due to the often steep terrain and the weather. And the central Ruahine Range is quite remote. So only go there well prepared. There are a few Ruahine trip/route reports/stories on this Website which you should have a good look at.
I can download the maps 1:50000 from memory map Topo New Zealand. The Park Map 1:100000 is good for planning. I would like to tramp Ruahine Range from South to North but transport is a problem. At least two extended circuit tramps have been planned. I have been reading and collecting trip reports from guide books and tramping clubs. I am an experienced tramper, good at light packing and will take my time. Major gear will include: tent, maps + compass + GPS. I am after a light and compact binoculas. Thanks Magoo.
DZtramping Seems to me that all the walks you intend taking are featured in "North Island Weekend tramps" I have been making my way steadily through this book for the last two years and have found it very helpful and informative. When you get off the plane at Auckland I work for Davie Motors Holden 10 mins from the airport in Manukau city. I would be happy to give you some direction on your way through.
3 deleted posts from Cristobalt7, Marion0b, Gmmett59

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by egilaslak
On 7 June 2007
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown