food

1–10 of 24

hello everybody, i am curious to know if anybody has some great tasting, easy to make tramping recipes, also any ideas on food that is avaliable from supermarkets that is light, tastes good and fills you up. especially interested in evening meals and food that can be eaten for lunch. cheers
hi russy. Try pasta with a sauce made with an onion a bottle of creame and a wedge of blue vain cheese. cook onion then add cream and cheese & reduce.You can add meat mushrooms peppers ect.Smoked chicken goes real nice.
hi russy. Try pasta with a sauce made with an onion a bottle of creame and a wedge of blue vain cheese. cook onion then add cream and cheese & reduce.You can add meat mushrooms peppers ect.Smoked chicken goes real nice.
I suggest you go to an outdoors shop like Bivouac and get Back Country food packets, which you add boiling water to. Slightly cheaper are the pasta and rice based products by Continental in any supermarket, which you boil for 10 minutes. Some friends still dehydrate their own. For lunch, One Square Meal are a complete food. I still like wheat biscuits, butter and cheese or salami.
Commercial dehydrated food is very quick and easy to prepare but also expensive, and some taste pretty good but some are decidedly average. On a longer trip I never plan to eat them more than every other day. And bulking them up with some extra carbohydrates is a good idea. Other stuff I use as a base (or as an entire meal) is rice risotto, continental type dried pasta, or plain pasta (get the little macaroni or shell shaped ones that cook faster), couscous, and instant mashed potato - all very light, and light on fuel too.
For me Breakie: oats (hot) + tea Lunch: Tortillas (wrapping) + cheese + marmite or marmalade Dinner: entree + main course + tea Entree: Weightless stock cubes for soup Main: tuna (or Vietnames sausage/salemi) served with Easy Mac (3-4 minute cooking), or couscous or mashed potato. From time to time I have commercial dehydrated food.
First night out we have sausages which we have boiled the night before (at the backpackers) then slice them into a cliplock bag .Buy a pack B B Q sauce mix at supermarket .Heat the snags in the sauce serve with dehydrated potato and peas.Yum.I also boil eggs for the first few days lunch a bit heavy but good. Have also bought a BBQ chicken and pulled it off the bone .
The backcountry food d-hi we found found after several years of practice are better cooked in boiling water in the billy. Try eating those for 17 days. We normally add rice or mash potato. Probably have gone though the flavours 10 plus times. Quite good now there coming out with more and more. Breakfast, well nothing beat porridge, have been known to walk to 3 in the afternoon on lie 3/4 a cup of porridge. Lunch is pretty simple, vitawheat crackers(have be known not to break)salami vegemite/butter, cheese and packet of tuna. Other option to dinner for short trips is Kaweka. Good Luck hope my info is useful:)
I try a to have a variety of meals, if the trip is short than the options are endess as we tend to treat ourselves with heavier, tastier food like the kaweka meals, tinned stuff. but for longer trips, club trips or hard trips we tend to do a continental pasta and sauce packet with some vegies (fresh or dehy) and either tuna or salami added. other things we have tried are: mashed spud (powdered found in the supermarket) and gravy with dried bacon bits added (easy-only need to add hot water to the dried potato and the to the gravy mix). or normal pasta with some tomato paste and cheese mixed in and either tuna on the side or salami mixed in (yum), and for winter trips i make a dahl which is a great rib sticker and takes 10 minutes if using orange lentils, and you can add vegies or meat whatever you want, and spice it up with chilli and garlic flakes it does require coconut cream which you can buy powdered from the supermarket. i'm not a fan of the back country meals but if i have to endure them i usually take stuff to make them interesting like garlic, onion, chilli flakes, some of the meat ones do well with a little beef stock or tomato paste added, or extra dehy vegies and/or rice.
My staple is pretty much Continental or San Remo pasta meals (4 serving for one or 6 serving for two) with salami or bacon added. Fir pudding I have either an Instant pud or one of those little sponge puddings with sauce that you boil up in the little pottle. For longer trips I make up a mince meal and dehydrate it in the dehydrator. You just have to remember to put it on to soak for at least an hour before you cook it. With that I will have dehy vegis and inst mashed spud. I got given one of those freeze dry meals once at a SAR conference. I took it on a trip and had it as an entree. Luckily I had my regular meal with me because I was hungrier after eating it than I was before.
1–10 of 24

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by russy
On 6 June 2007
Replies 23
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown