Tent selection questions

Hi All, My wife and I are shopping around for a decent tent and have narrowed it down to just 2 based on our requirements, Nemo Asashi & Marmot Den. We will mostly be taking it easy (i.e. no traming, mostly car camping) but want a good quality tent which will keep us warm and safe if we get caught in the unpredictable New Zealand weather! We initially looked at the Kathmandu Retreat 50 & Taku. My wife finds the Taku tent a bit claustrophobic (which is why we are looking at the 2 very spacious tents above)and the Retreat 50, although the right size (height, floor space & vestibule area), I think it is lacking structural integrity :P I would also prefer something lighter the the retreat (Taku is ok) and not with fiberglass poles (The fiberglass poles thing is because I don't want to be lugging an 8kg tent around with us, not because we really need the extra strength ally affords). How would you guys/girls rate the Asashi & Den tents vs. each other? The Asashi fly does not come down to the ground, supposedly for extra ventilation. What are the pro's and con's of this feature? Do you think we are going overboard with the tents? Kathmandu, Freedom etc tents would be fine for us i'm sure but we want something that will last. Also...is there anyway to buy these in NZ short of importing it myself! Thanks :)

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by basil4j
On 12 December 2009
Replies 0
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown