Inspiration for Breakfast food

1–10 of 27

I find that i grow weary of eating my usual "Pog" with added fruit and nuts for breakfast while tramping. I also like a bowl of 2 min noodles for breakfast but need some new inspired meal ideas. What kind of food do you like for breakfast meals while out in the great outdoors?
Cheese spud is a good binder. Instant spud, a hand full of grated cheese of your preference, a cup of soup for a bit of flavour, and an option of a few chunks of salami. Throw in some boiling water to mix - and have your brew at the same time.
I used to have cheesy spud for a while too, but I always had to eat really quickly before it got cold and sticky. I used butter and bacon to flavour the spud. Muesli/porridge tends to be a breakfast of last resort for me. For weekends I often take precooked streaky bacon and hardboiled eggs with wraps/flatbread and BBQ sauce. Top off with a OSM bar. Have taken cold pies/sausage rolls and pizza slices before. Longer tramps 3+ days, I make my own energy bars from wine biscuits, rolled (quick) oats, protein powder/complan/full fat milk powder/cocoa, chopped nuts, and dried fruits (esp. dates, dried berries, apricots) all bound together using sweetened condensed milk and melted butter. I like the energy bars because I can eat and pack up at the same time and get a head start (i'm invariably soon caught up as I'm faster at eating than tramping...) I'm working on some savoury energy bars too, steak and cheese and tomato wasn't an unqualified success... Tips: 1, for a long tramp always make at least 2 or 3 different flavours. I recently did a 4 day trip having one flavour of energy bar for breakfast, lunch and snacks. After lunch on the second day I was happily trading for porridge for breakfast 2, try not to make it too sweet (tastes do vary between people) otherwise it gets hard to eat
porridge aint what it used to be Or at least it can be but rarely is. I remember many times the ally billy oats water etc boils for half an hour eaten then the next half hour spent cleaning said billy in the steam with gravel and ice as a scourer. Nowdays you just get 2 satchets of instant oats (many flavours and brands) pour them in a bowl with a couple of tablespoons of sugar and milk powder and on measured cup of boiling water stir let sit for 2 minutes and eat. You can put cheese chilli sauce or whatever on top if you really desire. The only hot breakfasts I ever eat are porridge on tramps so I dont get bored of it. I cant stand musili.
I take a bag of ground LSA and chuck some it in the porridge as it cooks - gives a nice nutty flavour for variety's sake, provides fat and extra protein too.
Hutchk...umm lsa? Whats that? Off on a 6 dayer on saturday around kokatahi/zit saddle etc so need some inspiration mate. I hate the dreary porridge,more a quick bite and get moving sort of person.
Sorry, it's ground linseed, soy and almond. You can find it in the hippy section at the supermarket. Much nicer than it sounds. I also shout myself a Kaweka 'big breakfast' on the first morning of a long trip - heavy as buggery but delicious. Countdown have them.
I used to hate being the guy who had to clean the porridge billie, lol. Instant pog is definitely the way to go these days. A couple of other breakfasts we used to have on long trips was mac-cheese and also rice pudding with sultanas or raisins added. I went through a pork pie phase, too, but can't stand the sight of them these days.
Takes me back to boy scout breakfasts where the porridge was always burned and some poor sod, me!, had to clean the cast iron 'dixies'! Those were the days! lol We take along a mix of rolled oats (60%) and nuts, seeds, chopped dried fruits, chocolate chips, and milk powder. We put each mornings serving into an individual zip-lock bag (one cup full per person). Put into bowl and pour boiling water over it and allow it to sit whilst having a cuppa. Top up with more boiling water and eat.
Thanks guys those are all good ideas. I like to alternate hot and cold breakfasts for a bit of variety. I usually chuck my instant porridge in a ziplock bag with the sugar, milk powder and fruit at home, then add water and eat out of the bag. Something Ive also tried recently was Cream o' wheat (American type of Cremota?), I really like it, its not as dense as pog. I also like a handfull of fruit digestives with raspberry jam on them, chased down with a brew. Chunk of salami as well and youre good to go. Problem is you have to carry the biscuits in a hard container or they all get smashed. I like that idea of rice pudding, Ive made it before with dehydrated rice, condensed milk, raisons and milk powder but never for breakfast. Ill try that one. What id really like is bacon and eggs, but who can be farffed carrying a frypan and ingrediants.
1–10 of 27

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by bradley1
On 5 November 2014
Replies 26
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown