Tramping partner down south (14. nov-7dec)

Hi, My name is Johan and I am from Denmark. For the past three months I have been studying at waikato University in Hamilton and my semester ends the 7th of november and I am planning on going south to tramp as much as possible. I thought about doing the Dusky Track (8days) about the 20th of november. If anyone is keen it could be nice to hook up and do some trmaping. Johan
Make sure you don't bite off more than you can chew with the Dusky, Johan. And definitely do it with a partner or at the very least a PLB and your wits.
I guess I forgot to write anything about my previoues experince in the outdoors. I have been doing a lot tramping and outdoor trips in the nordic countries and at varioues places around the world. In NZ I have done a lot of shorter hikes and day trips 1-3 days. While being in NZ I have studied Outdoor Education at the University as well, as I am aiming to teach in Outdoor Ed in Denmark. That being said I have no experience in tramping on the South island, but a friend of mine recommend Dusky, because I wanted to do some longer tramps down south. Partly I want to do it with a partner because of safety reasons, but at the same time it is nice to have someone to share the experience with. Have you done the Dusky Track pjg084? And is there a reason why think it is a bit mouthful? /Johan
Hey Johan! I'm Marco from Austria and I'm also studying on Wintec till mid November. I'm going to make a part of the travers sabine track. Maybe you intrested to partner up. Would like to go to Angelus Hub. Maybe you are intrested. Regards
Are you based in Hamilton? Then we could meet up before if you are up for it. Sabine track sound pretty cool as well. Johan
Johan, I haven't done the Dusky, no. However, I have met many that have - and heard numerous other accounts. It's a hard track, reputed to be one of hardest "benched" tracks in NZ. And considering how hard some other 'less hard' tracks are, even for people of good fitness and experience, it should be taken into account. The Tramper articles says it's "rough, muddy, and wet, with flooding making sections impassable regularly". So all I mean by 'don't bite off too much' is, from what I am lead to believe of the Dusky, it's not your average NZ wilderness tramp. That all said, nothing beats a challenge. I hope to get on the Travers Sabine and Wilkin Young when I am over in November. With some shorter tramps here and there.
I could be keen to do Travers Sabine as well. I would be in Nelson the 14th november. Give me text if you are up for going together. Could be cool! Johan

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Johan-L
On 20 October 2014
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown