First Time Tramp in NZ - Milford

My wife and I will be making the trip to NZ late next March for the Milford Track tramp. We are 50ish, novice trampers that have to buy all our clothes for the tramp. We will be doing the "luxury" tramp so don't have to tote our sleeping/eating equipment. Was wondering what kind of weather could be expected during that time of year? We don't want to bring more clothes than we need.....as we'd like to save room to bring home (TX, USA)all kinds of NZ goodies! Any recommendations on appropriate clothing would be appreciated! Thanks, NexenRod
Good on you guys, you'll have a awesome time! Weather is always hard to predict (esp in NZ) but I find for clothing the following does me for walking in almost any weather including wet windy snow: - fast drying shorts - polypro top and leggings - light polarfleece or woollen jersey - waterproof rain jacket - gloves and woollen hat - polarfleece jacket (I can't recall ever actually wearing this while walking, I get too hot, but it's great for evenings at the campsite and I feel it's good insurance to have it with me while I walk in case I were to break a leg etc and have to sit in the cold) If it's raining I almost always just get wet legs, though sometimes I take waterproof overtrousers. You will have a hut (or better) to dry out and warm up in, but you should also plan on having a dry set of clothes to change into if you arrive soaked. Enjoy your trip!
Ha! What weather to expect on the Milford Track... that's easy RAIN. Milford Sound is one of the wettest places on the planet. The rainfall is 6813mm a year. However, in saying that I don't want to disappoint you. When you get the rain you get the waterfalls and they are fantastic, so pray for rain. The trick is to be prepared. Good wet weather gear and dry clothes for the hut well sealed in plastic bags is story. In March it probably won't be cold but you never know in there. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milford_Sound and scroll down to climate for the story on Milford weather.
I agree with clothes above - but make sure you have long trousers for evening times as there are quite a few sand flies about. In the summer I rarely wear more than a t-shirt and shorts during the day - but need extra layers for stopping. I have done the milford a couple of times - and both times had good weather - so you definitely need to make sure you have a good sun hat,sun cream (you do get easily burnt here) and insect repellant. If it is raining also expect you may get wet feet, and possibly legs. I always take 3 pair of socks with me - so I have dry one in the morning (I hate wet feet) - however you may have drying room/area in private hut. Gaiter are great for keeping mud water out of boots. I would also suggest walking poles as there is a long down hill from the pass (but ask the guiding company about this they may provide these) REgards even though you are not carrying sleeping bags etc - I would always sleep in polypros not regular pyjamas as they you have further layers if necessary - just
Well done a great track,i walked it 3 years ago for my 50th birthday All the the advice above is true 100% I got 250mm rain on the second day and pmcke is right great waterfalls.A good rain coat is a must. I walk in shorts most of the time as i find it more pleasent in the rain i dont worry about wet legs also a long sleve shirt and pants for night due to EVIL SAND FLIES they seem to get you when you stop

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Nexenrod
On 14 November 2009
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown