Question around gaiters

I know some people wear them and some don't. Do/should gaiters keep water out of you boots during river crossings? I'm thinking of getting a pair to protect my lower legs, but am struggling to find a pair that will fit my calves. So I am sort of wondering if it's worth it if they won't also keep water out from river crossings. Cheers
24 comments
21–24 of 24

cuben and kevlar will be very expensive.. cuben doesnt have good abrasion resistance, it would need the kevlar in it...
@Honora do you know if this prototype was ever made into production? What you described sounds exactly like what I have been sketching up, and thinking about having a go at making. Not sure I would use cuban or kevlar for that matter though I'm not that weight phobic. But if you imagined a super gaiter type fit on the boot, with water proof zips you could almost turn them into waders. No use in summer I imagine
@Damon: No, it's just Aarn working on perfecting an idea for himself by the sounds of it. It must be wonderful to have the skills to put his ideas into fruition like he does.
Bit late in the piece but I thought I'd add the following... The first gaiters I bought were Outdoor Research "Verglas" with a Pertex finish. They were so clammy I retired them early (now lend them to anyone who can put up with sweaty calves). Next pair was Sea to Summit "Alpine" with Gortex. Excellent! No clamminess whatsoever, even in 30C heat. Also worth noting that some gaiter boot straps are sewn in and cannot be replaced easily so try find ones that have removable straps. I find gaiters essential off track or anywhere where there is a lot of plants around, who wants stones, seeds, bits of wood getting into your boots - and the inevitable unplanned stop to remove the detritus. Gaiters are good also for keeping socks dry when going through wet grass etc. Not much use through rivers (for obvious reasons).
21–24 of 24

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by Scottie
On 10 August 2014
Replies 23
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown