Question around gaiters

1–10 of 24

I know some people wear them and some don't. Do/should gaiters keep water out of you boots during river crossings? I'm thinking of getting a pair to protect my lower legs, but am struggling to find a pair that will fit my calves. So I am sort of wondering if it's worth it if they won't also keep water out from river crossings. Cheers
Hi @Scottie. It's up to you, really. In my experience they can help to keep water out with shorter and shallower crossings, but it'll only work for a limited time. Sooner or later the water's going to seep through. If you find that you're getting little stones in your boots after crossings or wading up and down rivers, gaiters are often effective in keeping them out. On the flip-side, if you're in a stronger flowing river, gaiters will sometimes increase resistance and make it harder to keep your footing.
Thanks for that @izogi. I hadn't considered the extra resistance.
Shop around. I usually see them in a range of sizes for most brands. I use ankle gaiters. It's a heat thing. Neoprene gaiters & waterproof socks DO exist, but would be overkill for general hiking ?.
Thanks for that @Pro-Active. Most of the ones I've seen so far have only gone up to a large. But I see Hunting and Fishing have some that go up to XL, and just looking Bivouac Outdoor also have some XL's, I didn't see them lat time I was there. Do most people wear them to keep out stones/dust etc?
Definitely to keep stuff out of your boots. Some want scratch protection. I guess some want warmth ?. What's your intent ?.
I never wore gaiters until joining HVTC Now I wear them most tramps but not all Dry rocky tramps dont wear them Grass trails dont but everything else I try to remember them. If I forget them its no big drama. They reduce the water getting in on water crossings so you dont get wet feet quite as quick. They keep a lot of rubbish out of your boots and are magic walking through hook grass and thistle. There are short and long but generally the shorts are lighter construction so I would go for long unless you cant get them round the legs. @ types of construction. Canvas or nylon/polyester. Canvas is best but much more expensive. They breathe and are hard wearing. I have the cheap ones that rely on a coating inside to waterproof (some use gortex but not mine) This is as waterproof and breathable as a plastic mac and sweats something rotten. Fortunately it wears off after a year or 2 which means no longer sweaty but also not as good keeping the water out. Also no gaiter has a decent strap to go under the boot. Mine have been replaced by a piece of lightish steel chain as I had some at home. Not an ultralight solution but 2 years without wearing through cant be bad
It's a personal choice, but I like that little bit of extra leg protection because I usually seem to end up with some amount of mud or scrub or bush-bashing, even when not planned. I'm guessing the boots+gaiters thing has in some ways replaced the role that gumboots used to have in NZ. Some people just prefer to wear trousers for all the same reasons, but each has it's good and bad points. Shorts & gaiters probably aren't as much of a drag as trousers (even quick-dry ones) can be if you're getting rained on persistently or spending lots of time in rivers, but again it's a personal choice.
I do a lot of trout fishing, which means dozens of river crossings a day (sometimes a hour) and I find quick drying pants are fine... they hold next to no water and dry out very quickly on all but the coldest of days. I do not consider them a drag at all, barely notice they are even on. They also keep the sunburn and sand flies away. Some of the modern fabrics even repel water for a few seconds. When its very cold I wear shorts and thermals. I really only wear gaiters to keep seed heads out of my socks. They do work well, but I never used them on a regular basis.
I'm a fan of gaiters or puttees when "tramping" unless on very good tourist type tracks. When off track & wearing shorts I always use gaiters or puttees. My main reason for this is to stop stones, vegetation or snow getting in to the boots. My biggest criticism of gaiters is that many of the modern styles cause your feet to get too hot in summer. They are fine most of the year though! Some puttees & gaiters are made in more breathable & less heat absorbing fabric & colours than others. Therefore when buying gaiters for summer use I find selection of the appropriate type quite important.
1–10 of 24

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by Scottie
On 10 August 2014
Replies 23
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown