Hydration Pack vs Bottle

1–10 of 23

So I have had both. Started off with a bottle which was good. The I brought a 2L hydration bladder which was 20 bucks just to look good. I used it on a lot of trips and Mountain Biking about 15-20 until going into Ironbark hut in the Ruahine ranges it started to bloody well leak. I was pissed off but it snowed coming out so I wasn't short for water LOL. I am buying another Hydration Bladder and I have always wrapped them in newspaper and a couple of plastic bags. So what do you use I think the bladder is good as you can fold it down to noting and i keep mine in the freezer when not using It is good as it doesn't go moldy only if you use juice Cheers Matt www.lewis-matt-tramping.weebly.com www.youtube.com/lewismatttramping NEW VIDS AND TRIP REPORTS TO COME
I have a 1.5 ltr bladder and a 3 ltr one aswell but I must say I like just carrying two 750mill powerade bottles and therye alot easier to fill up when youre on the go plus the bladders have a habit of leaking just as ya finish getting your pack ready forcing ya to have to unpack it all and try to dry it lol
I use a tude but instead of a bladder I have it sticking into a 1.5L soft drink bottle. It is a bit stonger than a bladder and when it gets scungie you just chuck it in the recycling and get another one. I roll up the tube and store it in the freezer. 1.5L will usually get me from one creek to the next but if I need more I just take another soft drink bottle.
I have an old macpac bladder cover and to date haven't had a bladder leak on me although after reading these comments it would appear that i have something more to look forward to.
Speaking of which, this was something I was going to go out and buy tomorrow. Any brands in particular that are better than others or any brands that taste like rubber/plastic when you drink that I should stay away from?
Ive only ever used camelback bladders work for me.
Cheaper bladders often have no anti-bacterial properties.ie a treatment lining them to further prevent the growth of mould. They may also have less reliable connection points or lid seals (o-rings) which may fail(leak). In saying that however all bladders need some maintenance. I had a fella bring a bladder to me once (a camelbak which are more expensive but more reliable) and because it promised a better level of anti-bacterial properties eg Hospital grade lining, he thought it didn't need any cleaning and left water in it at room temp for some weeks. He saw the mould growth and simply wanted replacement on a warranty basis. Go figure that one.
I always use a bladder but never have it in the pack in case it leaks, always in the side pocket. I carry a spare water bottle too for back up, which I use in the hut anyway when I'm cooking. I also have a pipe which fits onto a water bottle which works well - 'Blue Desert' brand - from bike shops or online at Torpedo 7. One of the best things I got from a Kathmandu sale for $15 is a pipe cleaner especially designed for the long hoses. Works a treat on the black mould! The plastic taste from the hose pipes seems to go away after it's been used a while, or maybe I've just got used to it.
I did something for the plastic taste when I got a bladder. I think it might have been a bit of dilued baking soda through the thing. I think that sorted the taste issues out.
Just got a 2litre Camelbak this morning. Thanks for the tips, might try the diluted baking soda trick before I use it.
1–10 of 23

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by matt the morepork
On 12 November 2009
Replies 22
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown