Isotonic drinks or additives

1–10 of 16

I think someone mentioned this a few months back, that is an additive to add to water to help when tramping. Does anyone know what works well. There was a recipe in Wilderness Magazine I might try. Anyone have any advice on this?
I love LEPPIN Enduro orange flavor. I find the bottle a bit big to take tramping so normally mix it into my first bottle of the day and leave the bottle in the car. Recently I been throwing a handful of 1.5g 'vita quench' satchel into my pack. I purchased them from the Supermarket. They add a bit of flavor to the water and they might work.
Here is the vita quench website http://www.vitaquench.co.nz/
sometimes i throw some dirty old berocca tablets in with my water in the morning, not sure if it really works or just a placebo effect. i find it picks you abit, thats about it.
If its just flavour you want, there are heaps of powdered cordial options such as Raro,Tang,etc. Lighter weight options in terms of packet size are available but usually a diet version. Some supermarkets are offering vitamin enhanced ones in tube type packets but as i understand it the vitamin quantities are negligible and its really about the marketing. They are super light though. It would seem if you wanted to benefit from electrolytes etc, the better choices would be some of the bottled ones such as Gatorade etc.I have found Endurosport,which includes magnesium, to be one of the best. It has worked for me in minimising aches etc after long activity. It is an initial investment but the quantity you want can be taken in a clipseal bag and it will ultimately prove more economical.
I usually take 2 bottles of powerade with me aswell as I put some sort of organic salt in my water bladder that keeps the hydration up because the salt slows down the processing of the water, gives it abit of a funny flavour but other then that it tastes allgood
After much testing "Horleys Replace" does it for me.
I take Hansell's VitaSport sachets with me and find they work wonders for leg cramping and general hydration. The sachets are obviously light weight too. :-)
oh, they're just from the supermarket too.
If you want electrolytes without sugar, Nuun tablets are good. They come in a plastic tube and just dissolve in water. I've only seen them in Bivouac but they will post them. Lots of info on www.nuun.com I avoid fluids with sugar if i'm using a water bladder as it encourages growth of mould in the pipe.
1–10 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by Haqii
On 15 September 2009
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown