Proper Hut etiquette

Well, I can't believe I'm asking this question, but I haven't stumbled on the answer in all my research, so here goes... 1) It's cold & rainy; you've finally arrived at the hut. You and all your clothing are soaked. 2) Not a swank Hut like the Milford; assume a hut with no changing room... 3) Boots off on the porch, then you go inside, only to find a bunch of people already there. 4) Gotta get out of the wet cold clothing, which means a complete strip-down. 5) Don't want to do it horizontally, enclosed in your nice dry down bag... What's the polite solution? Striptease? Seriously though; I wouldn't want to cause an international incident, or scare a couple of pre-teens or little old ladies. So, what's the accepted procedure?
33 comments
11–20 of 33

One like this militaris & pmcke? http://bit.ly/1ffRoW
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. in this case it was a bit of overkill but close
The hairiness reminds me of what I wish I did not see swimming in a mountain tarn one day.....
Someone in the UK is wondering why there picture of their mutt is suddenly getting so many hits from NZ
Striking similarity to a lot of the German women i've seen. I would imagine a similar lack of inhibitions too.
after a surf ive often got changed in the middle of a carpark with familys and everyone strolling around with the old towel trick, but i dont take propper towel tramping, its more a large papertowel so that wouldn't work. I guess the turn around trick works best.
I suppose we have to ammend Honora's statemnt and say that Kayakers and Surfers seem to be the least inhibited when it comes to public changing!
So hut etiquette. Keep the place clean, think how you would like to see the place when you arrive. I usually carry a couple of extra candles and leave them at each hut i pass. Clean the fire. Take up as little space as possible. (Dont you just like the people who spread thier gear out every where). Take your rubbish with you dont leave it half burnt in the fire. Next time through Puketutu I'll take some rat baits Peter. If you take a walkman remember others may not like your music as much as you if at all even head phones up loud make an unpleasant noise. If you notice something in a hut that the next person could fix make a note here the next person through may be able to make a contribution. Dont leave food behind that rats can get at. no food is better than rat droppings everywhere.
I also like to put the matresses on there side seems to stop them getting mouldy maybe or covered in rat droppings atleast!
I like to build forts out of the mattresses.
11–20 of 33

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by trtlrock
On 15 August 2009
Replies 32
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown