What's the worst meal you have ever had?

1–10 of 19

Remember the days when Tramping Clubs used to go on trips with one big billy and everyone would chuck something in it. Then whatever was in there would always be thickened up with instant mashed potato. This particular concoction was well on the way to infamy when someone put in half a bottle of tomato sauce. Then the can of sardines kind of tipped it over the edge. (In my case, literally)
I was lucky enough not to have this meal, but watched it being eaten. Myself, my sister and her partner were doing a overnight tramp. For dinner we decided to cook up a pasta meal... My pasta was fine, but the others tarted to complain that it tasted like dishwasher liquid.... About halfway through the meal they worked out what happened, they had a small container of dishwash stored inside their plates and it leaked everywhere :) Macaroni and cheese with dishwash for flavor seemed rather unpleasant.
On a mid-winters trip travelling Lewis Pass to Nelson Lakes with a bunch of varsity mates, we camped just before Waiau Pass in the snow. In an effort to cook dinner quickly the spaghetti went into ice cold water to cook. 20 minutes later the pasta had turned into glue. In a valiant effort to improve it someone got "over-excited" with the cayenne pepper. After a mouthful everyone decided the possums would eat well that night...
The dishwash in the pasta reminds me of back in 1973 being hut bound in the old Clinton Forks Hut on the Milford Track in the middle of winter. The waist deep snow dash over Dore Pass to get out is another story. Anyway, someone found all the ingredience to make scone mix bread in the cupboard and proceeded to do so using an aluminium washing dish to cook it in on the coal range. It rose beautifully and we even managed to turn the giant scone over in the dish. Finally it was cooked and we cut large slices and proceeded to feast. However the soap used in the washing bowl must have leeched into the aluminium and then was absorbed into the scone. Yuk!! The wekas ate well that night.
We had 24 days of white spirits flavoured food after picking up food from our 2 helicopter food drops that had been stored in plastic drums with the white spirits. The bottles can't have been too well sealed and the fumes absorbed into any fat e.g. corn chips and tahini. Sorry to say we were so hungry, we started to crave white spirits flavoured food! The worst meal I ever saw cooked featured undercooked rice and undercooked carrots. Glad I wasn't cooking with those two!
You can get the same taste sensation by packing muesli bars too close to firelighters!
That would be the evil hexamine blocks? Nasty stuff!
I wonder how many times the dishwash has been sampled as a flavour enhancer. Look how many people take dishwash in a small plastic bottle and olive oil in an identical one
We had been at Neill Forks hut and that night i had heard a bit of mouse activity but didnt think too much of it as i stupidly thought our food was safe.Next day after slogging up the steep climb onto Cone Ridge i decided i would have some cashews but after one mouthful i realized there was mouse poo in there!Needless to say i spat it all out and drank copious amounts of water and flung them all into the bush.Theres a moral there i think.
Tramping into Port Craig, near Tuatapere on the Southland Coast, many years back someone went into the surf and started hauling out pauas. The lads didn't have any idea how to cook paua so we did what we always did, chucked them whole into a billy of water and boiled them up. Yeah right... I think we chucked them out and ate our boots after that.
1–10 of 19

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by pmcke
On 29 May 2009
Replies 18
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown