Trekking pole baskets

Don't see a trekking-pole thread, so I guess I'll start one. My question is actually about baskets. My wife & I each hike with a pair of trekking poles. Currently Leki, but probably switching to Black Diamond. Where we hike in the US we never need baskets. On our NZ trip we won't be going through any snow deeper than an inch or two for more than a few hundred meters -- at least that's the plan. So I don't need baskets for snow. I'm assuming baskets serve no useful purpose in mud, and would probably be a hindrance anyway? My real question is sand & beach. We'll be doing the Cape Reinga + the entirety of 90-Mile Beach, probably with the heaviest packs of our entire trip, as we've allocated 6 days for that . We'll also be doing Abel Tasman, coastal portion of Heaphy, and a few other things that involve extended beach-hiking. Would baskets be useful for beach-hiking? I'm envisioning them stopping the poles from sinking too deeply in soft sand, but I really haven't a clue & nowhere here to test locally...
Hi trtlrock. Baskets will be helpful without doubt. And baskets have saved me a splattering a few times in mud. Besides, you can always remove them if you want - can only weigh a couple of ounces surely.
I have always had the baskets on my pole so am not quite sure what they would be like without. The problem would be that you stick the pole into a muddy bit and it goes right in. The advantage of having no baskets would be that when you stop and stick your pole into the ground and have a rest, you might be able to get it in far enough so that it doesn't fall over.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by trtlrock
On 12 May 2009
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown