Caples and Greenstone Tracks

Hi Guys and girls Here is some info about the tracks,i walked them fron the divide to Howden Hut then to the Upper Caples then to Mid Caples then to Greenstone then to McKeller hut which is the hard way to do it,as the Greenstone is up hill all the way. The ranger at Howden hut was realy good as she got me to fill the hut book and she put me in her diary as comeing out 5 days later to keep track of me as i was on my own. The weather was good ,bad and ugly,Greenstone Hut to McKeller hut about 6 hours it took me about 9 hours due to 250mm rain in 4 hours and to cross the River near the McKeller hut was a shock to the system and i did have swim for a few meters but i survived. When i booked the hut tickets the Doc people said it was a good idea for me to get a locater beacon as i was on my own so i did $35 for 7 days and $10 for every week there after,i can see now how people get in trouble on back country tracks now. One other idea is if you are going to walk these tracks IE:Caples then Greenstone if you can see the Saddle in sunshine go that way first as walking down or up to the saddle in the rain would be a Nightmare. Also has anyone done the Hollyford Track as this is my next walk lindsay
Where did you hire your locator beacon from? Last time I got one I'm sure it was something like minimum hire $50 (for about 4 days) then $10/day extra up to the first week. Did I get really ripped off?
Hi Chris I got it from the Mobil Service Station in TeAnau as DOCS dont hire them in TeAnau but DOCS in Wanaka do
Hi Chris Here is more info go to the web site locatorbeacons.co.nz and you will find everything about the beacons

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by lgwaddel
On 25 April 2009
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown