Now here's a thought .....

Anyone fancy organising a NZ Tramper Conference?! All the members and contributors of this site (plus others if they were extra special and paid extra special prices) could come together for a day and evening once a year (March good?) to meet other site members, share stories, listen to a guest speaker (perhaps Madpom for the first year!), get given promo items from sponsors (!), and most importantly have a few bevvies together and then head off the following day/week on their tramps ... either with others from this site (like how Norm organised the Rees-Dart) or with their own plans. Each year as it gets bigger and bigger, the location could change. One year Chch, then Qtown, then Welly etc Or perhaps there is something already like this (nooo, not my local club, but nationally) that Im unawares?
Not a bad idea. I have sometimes made the effort to go to the Federated Mountain Club's AGM (which incidentally is on this year 20-21 June in Wellington) and used to enjoy just such fellowship with fellow trampers. However for that you would need to be a member of a club and probably also a deligate for that club. Another idea would be to have a calendar on this site where people could post their trips and other events with an invitation to others to join. I know there is the noticeboard but a calendar provides a bit more of a structure to post events on. I like the idea of a conference (maybe call it something less formal) though it can be hard to convince people to come to such a thing. I know from personal experience that it is usually worthwhile making the effort to go and I certainly would try. Chch is actually quite easy to get to from Rotorua and I quite often end up down there.
carnt say that Im big on do's, reunions or even big groups of people for that matter but Im happy to post my months intentions on where are you tramping over the weekend and if your feeling like a break Im happy to pass the time should we meet on the track.
yes, conference is not the right word .... perhaps "shin dig"?
I think the idea of informal "meet-ups" could work at this stage, and these could be what ever you wanted them to be -- e.g. tramping, slideshows, GPS tossing competitions, whatever. I think an events calendar would be a useful addition to help with this. I'll look into it. BTW I have been away on holiday up in the North Island for the last couple weeks. So I'm a bit behind schedule.
sounding good ....

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by lisa_puddles
On 20 April 2009
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown