Gluten Free ...

Hi Just wondering if anyone can give advice on gluten-free food to take on a 3 day tramp .... I've not been tramping before so still learning about what kind of stuff you can even take tramping and with the extra complication of having to go gluten-free recently that's making things harder to figure out ... What's a good gluten-free tramping breakfast? lunch? dinner?
13 comments
11–13 of 13

Geeves recommends the spam flavour.
Also very light to carry. It just appears on your iphone when you least expect. Do you think weve given t&L enough grief yet. Maybe we should flood his facebook with guided tramping trips
Found a recipe for pan fried gnocchi in the May 2014 Wilderness magazine: I'm figuring if I substitute chestnut/buckwheat/besan flours, this could work as a GF option. Be nice with pesto. Serves two Mix 240g potato flakes and 80g flour together in a large container. Add sufficient water (I presume cold) to form a thick dough. Sprinkle some flour on to a clean flat surface. (could be a rock...) then roll the dough into a 3cm-thick tube. Use a fork to chop this gnocchi sausage into tsp sized chunks. Add a drizzle of olive oil into a (they say non-stick but I wouldn't use them b/c they release toxic fumes) pan and lightly fry the dumplings until golden brown. Stir the pesto through then garnish with finely shaved parmesan (BTW, a potato peeler is good for this and nice and light to carry), and a twist of pepper. Thanks to Fraser Hocks for suggesting this one...says Wilderness magazine. I'm going to try this at home first. Coconut flour might be a good substitute too but I've never used it at all.
11–13 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by scorpiankh
On 18 May 2014
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown