Using software to calculate difficulty of a route

This thread branched from "Sections" on . Explore the branch.

@izogi Continuing from 'sections' discussion: Yes - a generic solution that models the entire area and lets you calculate the cost of ANY route across it would be preferable to a one-off calculation for known tracks in the Tararuas. I'll try and have a play with this problem Izogi. I'm sure it has been solved before. The usual way these calculations are addressed is by creating a 'cost surface' or 'friction surface' - basically a grid containing a value for the difficulty of traversing each cell in the grid, based on a weighted combination of one or more variables. These are easy to generate and easy to use. However in this case it's a bit more complicated - as whilst some 'friction' variables are simple numbers (e.g. vegetation type or track type) the slope is vector variable (it has both a steepness and a direction) and the direction you travel across a cell strongly changes the impact the slope has on you. Most GIS packages will let you convert a DEM (elevation model) into a (slope,aspect) model, containing 2 values for each grid cell - the steepness and the direction. However, I've not seen any built-in routines to calculate the effect of such vector variables on someone travelling across the grid. Implementing it in custom code would be quite easy though, as it's a simple calculation as once you know the direction of slope and the direction you are travelling in you can work out the proportion of the slope that affects your track. I'll get back to you if I find a ready-made answer though.
@Izogi - Idrisi's VARcost lets you do this. Specify 4 files: 1) A raster showing your start point (every other point '0') 2) A raster showing your slope 3) A raster showing the direction of maximum slope (uphill) 4) A raster showing the sum of other factors for the area - i.e. the weighted sum of friction from (track type, vegetation type, etc) And bingo - it gives you a raster of the cost of reaching every other point on the map using the least-cost route. By default it uses a cosine function to determine the impact of slope. You can redefine this yourself if you need to. Idrisi have a trial version, and were handing out free, non-time-limited licenses non-commercial-use licenses to students when i was at uni, so if you know a student ... Apparently GRASS (free & open source) has a similar function. Again, dunno about QGIS.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by madpom
On 15 May 2014
Replies 1
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown