Tourists

Why you there is so much anger against foreign tourists tramping in New Zealand. They often get described as naive, stupid and ill-prepared? Why?
47 comments
41–47 of 47

I neve r thought of going that far up Ngatiawa Str. It looks like there are flats in quite a few places. Does it get very gorgey?
Not too bad. Bit tight in places but you're never walking up the river in the water - just crossing it. Takes me 1hr to the main forks. Sth is good going to last main forks before headwaters. Then up ridge to odd lands 500m west of Maymorn Jn. 2hrs all up to Renata - head down. Lots of bits with tracks on the banks, when you find em. North branch tucks in SE of Kapakapanui but becomes impassible at forks due west of pt 790.
i went up frances stream from the south once, there was a marked track toward the northern end that went up to maymorn junction,, but we're talking about thirty years ago
Thats a so much nicer route than the one I last took. I thought there was an issue at the bottom of the river with private land. Are you above this by the turnoffs to Kapakapanui? Last time up there it was Ngatiawa Kapakapanui for lunch then down the track to Renata for the overnight. That track down off Kapakapanui has more uphill than it does down despite losing several hundred meters. It wasnt nice on a hot day and then I triped 10 minutes from Renata hut putting my hand on a rotting stump which tore a 50 cent piece size lump of skin off one finger which explains the big blood stain on the track. Following day we opted for the road walk all the way back to Ngatiawa.
The 1st km upriver is crown land. The next km is private with no Queen's chain- but there are no signs saying access is not allowed - and the route is widely used. Beyond that it is crown land again. I've enquired from the people at the Ngatiawa roadend and, whilst not the owners, they said there would be no problem going up there. I ran possum lines in the area for the best part of a year (on and off) and have had no problems with access. And - in case you're adding 1+1 - I'm not the possumer who camped 2km upriver, got in trouble with DOC, and left his camp and all his marker tape out when he departed! I was based at Renata Hut when I worked this area fulltime, and worked the lower sections from home after work.
Renata Hut, classic brings back memories. Mad pom hit the nail on the head bro with your comment re vehicles at road end. We used to ride our dirt bikes out there a lot, so I know the place well. I think I know who that trapper was, old Gee I reckon haha
Thanks @madpom.
41–47 of 47

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Visiting New Zealand
Started by Kalle
On 22 April 2014
Replies 46
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown