Tourists

Why you there is so much anger against foreign tourists tramping in New Zealand. They often get described as naive, stupid and ill-prepared? Why?
47 comments
21–30 of 47

Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), some of those knuckleheads out in the bush are NZers.
that time is off the doc website. I have no knowledge of the track. Suffice to say though its not an afternoon walk.
I did it in a day a few years ago much to my surprise but that was just from the start of the track at Fox River to Bullock Creek. I was expecting it to take 2 days.
Hey Izogi, was that old mate mattski who got banned? He has been trolling up a storm on the climber forums, him and another dude on there have me rolling on the floor laughing sometimes :)
Yes you can do that track in a day so long as you don't do all of the interesting detours as well. Lots of caves, the Ball Room, Mt Bovis, Cave Creek and the Porari River are extras that can be accessed from the Inland Pack Track. The route is easy going if the water courses are not up.
Hey Izogi, was that old mate mattski who got banned? He has been trolling up a storm on the dont know but he has been amazingly quiet the last couple of weeks. This thread would of ended up totally the wrong way if he had used his keyboard here.
matt warned him about racist comments he was making...
Not sure who mattski was slagging but here's a comment from some bloke who signed up with tramper.co.nz so he could inform me what a freeloader I was after he'd read my article on the North Opuha Conservation Area. "Hi, glad you love the the out doors. Sadly I do have a problem with take all give nothing back losers like you, you seem to me no better than an Israeli back packer who steals the toilet paper." I sent an email to the Israeli embassy about this man who was operating a tourism business running jetboating trips on the Wairaurahiri River. Have to say his insult has become a quote around here.
People that run businesses making money out of a landscape etc are always going to see those of us that get there and see it all without there help as profit lost. Not many of them get that anti about it though.
My son and I recently walked up the Sabine Valley to Lake Constance from head of Lake Rotoroa via Lake Rotoroa Water Taxi, on this walk my son commented that he had never seen so many trampers in all the years we had tramped together which is going on 14 years. Two things that amazed me on this particular tramp were ..,firstly the couple from NZ .. elderly from Northland split up before we met them.. wife went off track ... partner went past ... all's good met up at Blue Lake :"Mother not Happy".Because partner didn't wait for her...? My thought was just maybe mother was wrong.. Next morning we are coming back down from Lake Constance and mother's coming up the track .. her partners heading up the scree slope towards the mountains on the right .. I waited until she came level with us and asked her where they were headed and she informed me that they were off over the Waiau Pass until daylight stopped them and then they would camp. I informed her that the path her partner was taking wasn't good and all she would say was he had his own ideas...don't know how he got on .. Two days later at Sabine Hut an Australian couple were telling me about the same couple wanting to wash in the Blue Lake and their attitude to being told that it wasn't the done thing... Came out on water taxi with five different parties from Sabine Hut All were not happy about the $40 fare per head if less than four in a party .. Myself I think it's cheap at that price and saved me a days walk either way and was a great service
21–30 of 47

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Visiting New Zealand
Started by Kalle
On 22 April 2014
Replies 46
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown