Tourists

Why you there is so much anger against foreign tourists tramping in New Zealand. They often get described as naive, stupid and ill-prepared? Why?
47 comments
11–20 of 47

why? why? well I have met some insane punters in the hills. One guy who summited Brewster in sand shoes, while his missus waited further below on the ridge. They had earlier both hopped across the multiple crevasses on the glacier, in sneakers, with absolutely no ropes or nothing. 'oh, it was ok' he casually commented later to me whilst we made dinner in the hut. Honestly, I didn't know wether to laugh or cry it was hilarious but hey thats nothing. I'm sure theres a thread on here somewhere dedicated to insanely stupid antics witnessed in the hills. If not, lets start one! Anyone else notice, old mate hasn't replied back?
Hey, thank you for your answers! And I would like to take this further because this topic really interests me and I share a love for tramping and it makes me sad when people die or get hurt just because "they did not know!" I walked the TeAraroa a year ago and I found it easy get an idea about the NZ-tramping conditions and if I was not sure I asked the locals. So maybe for the tourist who come to NZ and want to enjoy the great, great landscape you guys have, they need to get more and better information? How can you provide this information so not so many tourist get lost and walk ill-prepared? I also get the old fashioned patriotism....maybe that´s a part of it as well.
Hi @kalle. I think it's a bad topic to continue on, because very recently a certain member was temporarily banned for repeatedly breaking a rule about provoking and continuing certain lines of discussion on this very thing, against the site's forum policy. As you joined the site yesterday, it'd be good to take part in some other discussions about less sensitive topics and at least first gain a reputation of being someone who isn't that same person coming back under a second pseudonym for no reason other than to stir things up.
theres nothing wrong with discussing this topic, we can keep within the forum rules if we don't make generalisations about certain nationalities as has been done in the past. not everyone bothers to do their homework on NZ i think, some go in blind with a "she'll be right" or "how hard can it be mentality" or "it won't happen to me" or "i can handle it" some do a bit of homework and over estimate their ability.
3 ready sources of info Doc http://doc.govt.nz/ Effectively they manage 90% of our tramping country. Lot of good stuff there Mountain safety Council http://www.mountainsafety.org.nz/ Ask here Google tramping clubs They are often most willing to help in there area Problem is that published guidebooks dont always tell the whole story because in order to sell more books they gloss over the bad most important bits. Some people believe if it says so in the guide book it must be so. This is a human trait common to all nationalities. There are no statistics but it wouldnt surprise me if Lonely Planet has indirectly caused the deaths of 1000s worldwide but the other side of that is that that book alone is used as a travel planer by millions. We talk about foreigners getting hurt here It wouldnt be a surprise if NZers get the same abuse overseas for swimming in salt water crock rivers in Aus or camping on the ground in snake or spider country or nearly get eaten by American bears. We are all out of the environment we know and if we dont plan correctly for that bad things might happen
@Kalle - what worries me is illustrated by an experience last winter when DOC was warning of high avalanche danger in the Nelson Lakes National Park, which you would have been through on Te Araroa. In one day up the Travers Valley in deep snow I met 3 separate young men, all from overseas, different countries, all travelling alone. All ignoring the warnings, which they all knew about and were heading up the Travers Saddle or Lake angelus etc. All had not told anyone where they were going. None of them had ice axes or crampons. Accidents just waiting to happen. I guess they survived as no reports in the media.
@kalle, maybe you could tell us a little more about yourself. How did your Te Araroa trip go, and where and how have you seen or heard people criticising foreign tourists?
missing tramper ill equipped http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/299779/missing-tramper-ill-equipped
" Mr Dohnal failed to return by 7pm Saturday as planned and the alarm was sounded Sunday morning. A helicopter found him at Dilemma Creek about 2pm on Sunday. He was trying to retrace his steps to Fox River, because the pack track was blocked by storm debris, Mr Judd said. He had spent a miserable night in the open lightly clad, with no shelter or food, and was hypothermic. He had swapped his tramping boots for sandals to stop his boots getting wet. Mr Judd said Mr Dohnal was extremely pleased to see his rescuers, because he was becoming weak and having difficulty walking. "He was cold, tired, wet and hungry." " I like where he was found This person had made arrangements should he not return. If he hadnt no one would be looking for him yet. Sar would of started looking for him when some noticed his transport or accommodation was unused possibly in a weeks time. and with the recent weather they would of taken a body bag instead of a first aid kit. Its amazing how many people dont make return arrangements although until recently Doc had a method to do this but decided it wasnt part of there job. Now there are private organisations or friends to rely on but lots dont bother. Have to wonder what sort of boots he had if he was worried about them getting wet. The track he was going to do in a wet afternoon is this one http://www.gang-gang.net/nomad/NZ/NZ31.htm Its 25km long and recommended to take 3 days.
25km in three days? jesus is that in a wheelchair???
11–20 of 47

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Visiting New Zealand
Started by Kalle
On 22 April 2014
Replies 46
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown