Deleting posts

This thread branched from "Freeze dried food in NZ" on . Explore the branch.

Just on deleting posts, do you think that a marker should be left in place to show where a post was deleted from? Often subsequent posts can look odd without the context of the deleted posts.
yes, good idea
That would work but another way used on other forums is to make only moderators able to delete posts that have been replied to. If no one else has replyed anyone can delete there own post but once a reply is there deleting requires a call to the moderator. It can get tricky when unrelated replys come in at the same time
I see the freeze dry thread has just suffered the fate that my idea can solve. We now have a post complaining about spam but the spam has been deleted. By sending these types of deletions to a moderator the mod can also delete all the posts that become irrelevant when the original post is deleted. More work I know but the benefit is worth it
Hi @geeves, Right, it was me that took the pruning shears to the freeze-dry thread. I could have deleted the follow up posts too. I've always been in two minds about that...
Maybe. My only reservation is that I occasionally delete and re-post as a cheating way of editing something within a few minutes of posting it. That'd look much yuckier if there were one or two markers left behind. :) Some kind of Edit function for existing comments would be nifty, if it were easy enough to implement and as long as there's an indication that there's been an edit.
" I could have deleted the follow up posts too. I've always been in two minds about that..." Definitely where life of a moderator gets interesting. Sometimes its obvious that the next post will turn to giberish once the offending post is gone and that second post is best deleted sometimes its unrelated so should stay untouched. Life becomes fun when the next post has bits that should go and bits that should stay. Do you delete leave or edit? I used to have lots more hair before I became a moderator. If deleting or editing a post that no longer makes sense due to the deletion of an inappropriate post I always contact the poster to advise why Ive done this
Hi @izogi: Comments noted. The solution is to allow editing and I will get that in there as soon as I can. Hi @geeves: I think your approach is good. At the moment I have elected to leave markers where posts have been deleted. It is worth bearing in mind, posts are not necessarily deleted because they are *bad*. Presently I have included user names in these messages, i.e. "2 deleted messages from XXX, YYY." But I'm not convinced that's a good idea.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by matthew
On 27 March 2014
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown