5 passes track, tramping partner(s)

Hello again, After doing a 12 day trip in Nelson lakes and the three passes in Arthurs pass, I'd like to do the five passes in the Routeburn area, looks like an amazing area with a challenging track. As the season is getting to it's end (at least for me) I had hoped to do one last big one, before the weather will get in the way. The description @Bernieq has provided looks very usefull and interesting: www.tramper.co.nz/?8505 I would want to do this track in a good weathergap around the end of march beginning of april (I can adapt to a specific date if needed). Is anyone keen on doing this, the normal 5 passes trip or anything similar? It would be great to have some company on this trip. Besides, any information on this track will be greatly appreciated (I'll be working out my own plan, but still additional information on times, tracks, terrain is welcome) If you are interested, please reply, sent an e-mail: ward(dot)hoefnagel(at)gmail(dot)com or text me on 022 1700116. Cheers, Ward
I was just there 3 weeks ago. Went up the North Routeburn over North Col and was going to go around the 5 Passes but got clobbered by a front while camped in Hidden Falls. I pulled out via the Rockburn and Sugarloaf so ended up doing the 3 Passes instead. Was bitterly cold the whole week and the front dropped fresh snow to 1000m, this in February, so I hope things are warmer for you! If you are interested in doing North Col/Lake Nerine there was practically no snow at either place (the snow dump I experienced quickly melted). If you do the climb to Park Pass Glacier watch for ice on the rocks! A short way up the climb you are confronted by a rock band about 2m high on a ~50-60degree angle and water dripping down from moss had frozen to ice. Takes quite a bit of care to get past. Theres a good track on the Hidden Falls side of Park Pass to the valley floor but it can be tricky to pick up if you are looking at crossing west to east. I would love to go back but my tramping for the year is over alas.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by WardH
On 19 March 2014
Replies 1
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown