10 huts in Taramakau / Arahura– Interested?

About 12 Feb. for 6-8 days plan to go from Aicken up the Taramakau river to Harper Saddle (bag Kiwi, Locke stream and Harper biv) then west over the main divide & down into the Trent river (mid Trent & Lagoon Creek huts) up an over Trent saddle into the Haupiri river (Elizabeth hut) . Up Cone creek (Cone hut) and SW up to Lake Morgan hut then SE down the Crooked River (top Crooked and lower hut’s) to the Rotumaunu road or over the Alexander Range to Camp Creek (hut) & road. Covered a lot of back county solo in my 62yrs - still quick in the valley and slowly grind over the tops but this route - an added experienced scrub basher could be an advantage. Several route options if the weather, body etc see plans needing to change. Interested?
sounds like good trip. In april, intend to be along the tops between crooked/trent and taramakau, possibly via the crooked river. was last there in 1967 would be interested to hear how you get on :)
Hi Captain, I've been over most of that country in the last six years. The Lake Morgan tops are magnificent! Some info for you; The track from Haupiri junction up to Cone Creek hut was getting rather overgrown when I walked it in 2010 & I don't think it has been cut or remarked since? Some parties have failed to follow it! Also from the Crooked up on to the Alexander or Kaimata Ranges will be quite scrubby as the old deer culler tracks & game trails have overgrown. The Permolat site gives good route info on how to get to the remoter Westland huts. It will be a big help to you if you have not already consulted it. I also hope hope to spend some time on the tops north of Harpers Pass this year but unlike you will mainly be on the Canterbury side.
By the way there is a typo in your heading. "Arahura" in your title should be "Ahaura", they are different West Coast valleys.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by the Captain
On 29 January 2014
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown