Keen to claim 15 huts in Richmond Range with me?

Feature: The most difficult part of Te Araroa Long Trail.  There are 12 huts en route. Highest point at Mt Rintoul 1,731m asl. Area: Richmond Alpine Ridges Plan: 4 Jan (Sat) 12:00 AkL fly to Nelson, shuttle to track start. Walk 1.5 hrs to Hackett Hut.  5 Jan (Sun) Starveall Hut, Slatey Hut. Walk 7.5 hrs. 6 Jan (Mon) Oldman Hut, Lake Chalice Hut. Walk 9.5 hrs. 7 Jan (Tue) Mid Goulter Hut, Lower Goulter Hut. Walk 8 hrs. 8 Jan (Wed) up to Bushy Top, Tarn Hut. Walk 6 hrs. 9 Jan (Thu) Mid Wairoa Hut, Top Wairoa Hut. Walk 9 hrs. 10 Jan (Fri) Hunters Hut 6 hrs. May run to Right Branch Hut return extra 3 hrs walk. 11 Jan (Sat) Porters Creek Hut, Maitland Hut, Red Hills Hut. Walk 9 hrs. 12 Jan (Sun) Out to St Anaud. 5:00pm shuttle to Nelson. 7:00pm fly to AKL. Option: if weather not good we may skip 2 or 3 huts. Still got 12 huts at least. Gears: Self-sufficient, food and cooking utensils, sleeping bag, warm clothes, parka, poles...etc. Sleep:  All in huts with the capacity of only 5-6 bunks. No tent needed but a tarp fly welcomed. Pace: Fast walk with ultralight pack.
13 comments
11–13 of 13

Yes, Frank had slippery soles and bailed on that section one time. It was a bit exposed in places.
I too have heard these rumours.....absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for the bush tramper....risk of tiny slither into half a meter of water.
1 deleted post from glennj
Hi Lucky, good to see you did the trip. As mentioned in my Dec post I hoped to go through there too. We did our trip in March & had good wx. We visited just eleven huts in 5 nights though having been to Lake Chalice & the Goulter on another trip. We found the tracks good & generally very well marked. It was pleasantly easy country cf. a lot of Westland that we roam. I didn't see any alarming bits of track anywhere. The Wairoa River wasn't up when we went thru but if it was up it could stop you. We walked to the 2nd hut each day arriving early to mid afternoon. It was pretty cruisy. I see from my diary times that where we did the same bits my times were quicker than yours generally cutting the DOC times by a third to half. I think you must have some typo's in your times in the Jan 14 post or you made some big detours? The only detour I made when walking between huts was to walk to the summit of Mt Starveall. Late afternoon we'd sometimes go for another walk from the hut we'd reached that we were going to stay the night at though. When out at the roadend at the Red Hills end & hitching back to get my car I had to walk to within 4km from St Arnaud before getting a ride. On the way back to the Coast we picked up a tramper hitching from Nelson Lakes to Arthurs Pass.
11–13 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Lucky77
On 29 December 2013
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown