Freeze dried food in NZ

1–10 of 15

Can anyone recommend or advise on brands of pre-packed freeze-dried tramping food in New Zealand ( the Kind you just pour hot water into and eat out of the bag ) ? Since I'am coming from Europe, I guess I cannot bring such things into NZ, due to customs regulations. I remember some years ago in Tasmania i bought some in a green/orange package, which I believe came from New Zealand ( can't remember the Name, however ). The taste was quite good but I found them somewhat overpriced ( at least in Australia ). I need to pack 9 days of food for a solo trip of the Dusky track, so i want to save on weight & pack space by using These freeze-dried rations
2 deleted posts from Yarmoss
Theres 2 or 3 brands of freeze-dried tramping meals here in NZ. The most common one you'll find down the bottom of the South Island is Back Country Meals which come in a blue packet with an orange label. Price varies wildly depending on where you buy it but most super markets and pretty much all outdoors shops sell them. Cheapest way to get them is from Rebel Sports when they have their 25% off everything sales. The 4 Square super market in Te Anau sells them reasonably cheaply too. Just buy them from there.
Back country freeze dried food can be found in most outdoor & camping shops in New Zealand. Price would be around $8-10 for a single serve, $12-14 for a 2 serve. I find a 2 serve is a good amount, it feels more like a meal than a snack. My favourite ones are (in no particular order): Beef Hotpot/ Creamy Carbonara/Roast Lamb/Beef Stroganoff/ Chicken a la King/ Lamb Fettucene/Morrocan Chicken - their muesli with fruit is also very good. They also sell freeze dried rice/veges/mince if you want to add them to your meal. I usually add about 1 and a half of the recommended amount of hot water because I like my food "soupy"
When I take BCMs I take the single serves and pad them out with couscous as it is lightweight, takes virtually no cooking and is too bland to eat by itself so goes good with the BCMs.
Back Country Meals is the only one I recall seeing / trying though I'm sure there are others. They're quite expensive but good for longer trips. I find they're better if I pad them out a bit with some plain pasta/noodles, rice or couscous - too salty and strong and upset my stomach if I eat them straight.
who here remembers Vesta Curries. Used to be brilliant but probably more msg than actual food.
i lived on vesta in the bush,, suited my non existant cooking skills perfectly!
Actually, Tombo, you guess incorrectly - commercially packaged freeze-dried food can be brought into NZ. However, to smooth the passage through Bio-security at the airport, I would email them in advance and ask - then print the reply and bring it with you. Of course, the food needs to be declared on entry (and the packaging will be inspected - so have it accessible) but it will be allowed through. Having the printed email just shows that you've been concerned enough to ask.
Thanks for all your replies everyone. I suppose I will be using the local BCM brand meals ( instead of bringing them from Germany) and stretch them a bit with couscous or instant mashed potatoes for dinner. For breakfast its porridge/oatmeal with sugar/cinnamon and dried fruits. Nuts/raisins and chocolate as trail snacks and I also pack some cheese and salami with crackers, when you get sick of the sweet stuff.
In addition to Back Country Cuisine, I have also noticed The Outdoor Gourmet, although I've never tried any of their offerings. I stock up on BCC when Bivouac is having their 25% off everything sale. That brings the price on the 2-serving packs down to around $10.
1 deleted post from freezedriedfood
1–10 of 15

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by Tombo
On 5 December 2013
Replies 14
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown