Cascade Saddle -- Dart Hut to Aspiring Hut

Hi All - Sorry to keep spamming. But hey, this site is one of the most helpful I have come across. I was reading in an old edition of LP Tramping in New Zealand that it is not advisable to cross Cascade Saddle from this direction. To my understanding, though, Dart Hut hosts a warden during spring/summer/autumn who is able of getting weather reports? Am I right? Also, has anybody out there done CS from West to East. I would really like to walk the Rees up to Dart Hut, and then drop into the Matukituki Valley via CS. Thanks in advance for any advice.
The only time I have done the trip right through was from west to east but that was in 1973!!! However I recall it was no problem, except we ran all the way down from the tops to the Matukituki with heavy packs on. That was the first time I experienced a knee niggle that has troubled me from time to time since. Oh it was great to be young and fit. I have been up to Cascade Saddle from the Dart a couple of years back. The route is well marked and is only dangerous when there is snow on the route or in heavy rain. A number of side streams could be uncrossable and there was a fatality there recently for just that reason. The notorious bit, which has claimed lives, is the descent from the Pylon down to bushline on the Matukituki side, but as long as you stick to the route and conditions are good I don't think you will have any more trouble doing it one way over the other. And most important.. don't run downhill with a pack on, your knees with thank you.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by pjg084
On 9 February 2009
Replies 1
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown