Mueller Hut track

1–10 of 11

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has any comments on Mueller Hut track? Im thinking of doing it in a few weeks but heard its pretty steep. Some have graded it moderate while some have graded it hard. Its not so much the 'up' that worries but the 'down' that does.
Hey puddles - that's an ok name! We climbed to Mueller Hut (wife and I, in 2005 when nearly 60) and yes, we found it quite hard, especially as the wind was gusting around 80kph at the top. Kate didn't like the exposed scree near the top, but you can't get lost and the rewards are well worth the climb. We carried a full pack as we stayed overnight, and they don't call it the fridge on the ridge for nothing. We slept in everything we had! There is a warden there (honourary), can't remember if we had to take our own gas. Definitely recommend it! Were really sore walking walking up and down the stairs in Queenstown accommodation the next day, and we were fit, or so we thought. Go for it, but stay overnight.
Thanks Peter! Im not a scree fan myself but I agree that the rewards are well worth any climb. You tend to forget the pain once you're there and taking in the views. I also got new boots today so cant let them sit in the cupboard and get dusty! I see the Avon Tramping Club in Chch are doing it in a few weeks so I think I might join and give it a crack with them. What season did you do it in?
Hi puddles seem to always travel to NZ in March. Seems the most reliable month and not crowded, but still cool, after our Aussie summer which is really hard to train in!
Peter1945 - Very hard to train in. I'm in SA and we're up to our fifth consecutive day over 40 degrees. The only sensible training activity I can think of in this weather is soft-sand running followed by a swim. :P Paul
I guess you are only young if you can do that soft sand running - it would be a killer. Not as hot here on mid north coast NSW, but has been up to 39 degrees.
If you get up in the middle of the night to go up the path to the little girls room and it's full moon, take a camera will always regret not getting Peter out of bed AWESOME moon over Mt Cook ,it was sleeting when we went to bed .
Oh yes, I always need the little girls room in the middle of the night! Great tip, thanks!!
Dear Puddles, I thoroughly recommend this track to you. The hardest part is the first hour. Then it gets easier. Drink water before u leave, and take a water bottle. On a hot day, there is very little shelter from the sun. The second hour takes u to the Sealy Tarns, where there is even a seat! The next graas, and tussock section is easy to follwo, and leads to a rocky area, then the scree. At the ridgetop, turn south, for twenty minutes, and soon u can see the hut. Take good storm gear, when the wind blows, it sure blows! Take care, and have fun. There is gas cooking, but the downside is the $35.00 @ night hut fees.
Awesome, thanks dude.
1 deleted post from vpevaalnymml
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by lisa_puddles
On 31 January 2009
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown