Gaiters or Overpants

1–10 of 28

What do most of you trampers out there use? Do you bother with overpants (or waterproof pants), or just don the shorts all weather and use a pair of gaiters I haven't done enough long wet hikes to get a good picture of whats best. I can't see myself being bothered with pants, but my logic makes me want to wear them otherwise my legs get wet ha ha Cheers, Trussell
Some trampers seem always to wear gaiters but I usually don't. I find they make my ankles too hot. They can help keep gravel and mud out of your boots though. I take them occasionally. I rarely take overpants either, as I don't mind if my legs get wet. However some people feel the cold more than I do.
Normally wear gaiters and bring overpants but never seem to wear them, probably will stop bothering to bring them next trip and just go with the gaiters.
i always wear gaiters without fail. However do take overpants in case the weather turns to crap!, gaiters keep out the stones and mud and keep you warmer in winter. they are essentail up mt taranaki where there is plenty of mud!
I always wear gaiters, they make the bottle of insect repellent last longer! Oh and also good for keeping out mud, stones, snow, stinging nettle, cutty grass... I take overtrousers but have never yet worn them walking, only when setting up camp in the rain.
I'm keen to know about the neoprene gaiters. Do they keep your boots drier and are they good against stones and silt? I have used knee high gaiters and wading streams is cool and wet. What is better?
I don't do either, rather get legs wet, muddy, etc because it is easier to get dry. But may consider getting gaiters in the future.
Alpine gaiters what a wonderful invetion. Most of the tracks we walk seem to be overgrown or almost non existent and after 5 hours in crown fern or scrambling over and through dead falls the lower legs can take a hammering. I figure being hot is a small price to pay. Always carry Over pants during winter but never used them yet however i suspect there will come a time when i am thankful that i include them.
snow putties go in the top of the pack if the route is expected to be rough (bush bash etc.). Otherwise wrap rounds (long strip about 15cm wide, these go on before the socks are folded over) and home made nylon ones (a tube with elastic at each end, dead easy to make) are used to keep stuff out of the boots and the socks clean. Overpants if on the tops (i.e. wind and rain protection) S
I always wear gaiters,mainly to keep stones and other rubbish out of my boots but also to protect my shins when bushbashing. I also always take gortex overpants and wear them regularly especially ubove the snowline having seen the results without covering;ie being skinned.
1–10 of 28

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Trussell_LLoyd
On 25 January 2007
Replies 27
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown