Ignumbrite Saddle, Kaimanawa Ranges

I'm taking my 4th Formers over the ridge between Ngapuketurua peak and Junction Top, in the central Kaimanawa Ranges. Leaving Monday 8th Dec, so I need a quick reply! There's about 5km of what looks like a little scrub-bashing on the lower ridgeline .... has anyone done this route recently? This is the only 'unknown', I've done all the rest of the 5-day traverse from Poronui Station to Access Ten road. Cheers, The Ledge
14 comments
11–14 of 14

People used to do Cascade Waipakahi in a day, actually you have to do it in a day now because an ACT permit will not allow you to camp on their land. If you feel like it, take a small pruning saw with you and attack some of that snow damage. I had an email from Arthur at ACT and he said they had no plans to clear the tracks. The more overgrown the better as far as they are concerned. We found it to be quite easy to clear snow damage because it is the smaller stuff rather than big trees that fall across the track. Also sometimes you can just pull brancches off the track. However I guess doing this route in a day, you won't have time
Dr. Evo: Sorry so late ... Busy on Sth Isld tramps. Cascade Hut to Waipakihi Hut ... Would now be a very long day. If it took 2 of us over 6 hrs to reach the shoulder of Ngapuketurua peak, due to excessive but small windfall,.... I wkd guess maybe 12 hours via leatherwood-bash across Ignumbrite Saddle? Note that a trio got choppered out last Sept. ... Knee-deep snow on saddle. Open this reality check isn't too discouraging!?
Has anyone done the cascade hut to waipakihi hut walk recently? Interested to hear outcome; timewise, condition of route. Wanting to take a group through later in year. Stewart
I think Ledge's report above is going to be as up to date as you will get. Air Charter Taupo said they are not maintaining the track so, apart from a few more millimeters of growth, I doubt any thing has changed.
11–14 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by ledge
On 5 December 2008
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown