Ignumbrite Saddle, Kaimanawa Ranges

1–10 of 14

I'm taking my 4th Formers over the ridge between Ngapuketurua peak and Junction Top, in the central Kaimanawa Ranges. Leaving Monday 8th Dec, so I need a quick reply! There's about 5km of what looks like a little scrub-bashing on the lower ridgeline .... has anyone done this route recently? This is the only 'unknown', I've done all the rest of the 5-day traverse from Poronui Station to Access Ten road. Cheers, The Ledge
I was just talking to someone at the weekend who was saying that it is starting to get quite overgrown in there. A slot was cut through the scrub in the old Forest Service days but, of course, this route now lies outside the Forst Park so no maintenance has been done for years. I presume you are aware that a permit is required from Air Charter Taupo to use this route. See http://www.airchartertaupo.co.nz/tramping.htm I am sure they could provide you with up to date information in return for their fee.
Ya for prompt reply: Yes, we have a 'cheap' permit from Air Charter Taupo.for crossing Ngapuketurua & tramping over to Waipakihi Hut. No, they don't know condition of Ignimbrite Saddle. Any ideas on who does?
I just rang my informant who I was speaking to last weekend. She went through there about 3 years ago and noted that the leatherwood was about knee deep and obscuring where the track was, making going a bit slow. She also suggested that you contact the Waikato Tramping Club because she thinks they might have been through there more recently
PMCKE: You're teh Legend - ta, mate. That's a LOT MORE encouraging. Will try googling the Waikato mob. Cheers for this.
Just got back from a hard 5-day bushbash in the Kaimanawas at 2am this morning. Keeping to the topic, we took a very slow, 7 HOURs to summit Ngapuketurua from Cascade Hut. Partially due to my lack of aerobic fitness, but mainly due to the MASSIVE SNOW DAMAGE from last winter. We were forced to crawl on hands and knees to get around windfalls. It appears that DOC no longer maintain any of these tracks over private/ACT land?? The original venetian-blind-markers are there, plus a handful of orange-plastic-DOC LEAVES. (Never even made it down to Ignimbrite Saddle - got out to Kiko Road-end by 9pm. Cell-phoned for trampers shuttle.)
Thanks for the info. You can't expect DOC to be maintaining tracks across the Air Charter Taupo Land, especially as they would be tresspassing if they did. Air Charter Taupo make their money from hiring out hunting blocks. They don't even want trampers there. This is interesting because the new Management Plan for the Kaimanawa Forest Park DOC said they would support the the ATC Permit System. This is in leiu of building a new track which would link the 2 halves of the Forest Park. Now if the tracks are overgrown and snow damaged and no one is prepared to clear them then the Permit System isn't working. It might be a time to write to DOC and ask them what they intend to do about this.
Yep this is happening all over the country. In the Ruahines the same thing has happened. Tracks no longer maintained because of it being on private land. Would be good if DOC sorted out something so they can still maintain tracks and give out permission.
The problem in the Kaimanawas is that Air Charter Taupo did want to make a financial arrangement with DOC which would have allowed trampers to cross their land. However DOC refused so we have the permit system that is in place today.
Hi Ledge, I was hoping to pass this route sometime next week - I'd be very keen to hear back from you as to whether or not you'd attempt it? And if so, what special considerations you might make? We would be a party of two, reasonably fit with a fair amount of experience in the Kaimanawas (though only sticking to the DoC trails) ...Last year we tramped from Oamaru Hut, down to Boyd Hut, and then across the ACT land and up over the Northern Arm to Cascade Hut - in one day. I understand that the Cascade to Waipakihi route would require a similar effort, given regular trail conditions. So - I guess what I'm really asking is whether you think it would be possible to make the trip in a day? And if so - any special equipment required? Thanks!
1–10 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by ledge
On 5 December 2008
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown