Abel Tasman Inland Track

Been looking at doing the Abel Tasman Inland Track for several years. Has anyone here done it? How do you rate it?
I did it a few years back; it is a standard NZ bush track, there are a few short sidetracks to lookouts but the views are mostly of bush (nothing wrong with that I think). Castle Rock hut is in a really nice spot and only a short scramble away from great views out over Marahau Valley. It was June when we did it and Evans Ridge had about 30cm snow which was awesome once the sun came out. We had a great trip; combining it with the Coast track would also give good variety and let you do make it into a loop walk.
Whilst enroute to Bark Bay i would have seen a person every 5 minutes on average. The inland route on return was appx 5 hrs and i saw no-one. Consider some sea kayaking for a leg of it such as that to Bark Bay.There are about 5 major hire coy's in the area. You see less people and get a different perspective again.
I did this trip a while back and enjoyed it. Moa Park has sub-alpine vegetation which is unusual for such a low altitude. The huts were good. We eschewed the Abel Tasman track itself and walked that section of the great walk below the high tide level where there was no one else. I noted the track smelt of urine despite there being 65 toilets provided along the track. We started by taking a boat from Marahau to Totaranui and walking up to Pigeon Saddle. Good choice in the winter.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by militaris
On 30 November 2008
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown