Longest walk

1–10 of 11

Does anyone know wat the longest walk in the south island is?
Depends on your definition of "walk." If you want a marked track etc some of the longest would be Travers Sabine circuit (92km with Blue lake side trip), Heaphy & ReesDart & Kepler (all about 70km). But if you join tracks eg Routeburn to Greenstone to Mavora, or Tableland to Karamea River to Wangapeka, you could easily make a longer trip.
At 112km the Hollyford is pretty long, as is the Northwest Circuit on Stewart Island. But as Chrs1 said the key is linking them. I combined the Heaphy and Wangapeka for a memorable 10 or so day trip (small bus section in middle). You can link tracks all the way from the Young and Wilkin Valleys at the head of Lake Wanaka to The Divide on the Milford Road (then loop back down the Greenstone) for a very long trip. However, the Waterfall Face on Rabbit Pass is not to be underestimated. And this is the problem -- the landscape goes from easy to hard in NZ very quickly so longer routes can be quite variable in difficaulty.
Yes, the key is linking tramps. There are a few I have thought of. These include: a walk from south (thousand acres plateau) to north (Boulder Lake) in Kahurangi, a walk in Nelson Lakes via Lewis Pass - Waiau River/Pass - Blue Lake Track - D'Urville Track/Route - East & West Matakitaki River Route - Lewis Pass, a walk in Mt Aspiring & Fiordland linking Greenstone - Routeburn - Five Passes, and the Hollyford + Pyke Big Bay Route. Recently purchased a tramping and transalpine guide, The Otago Southern Alps by Moir.
The rees/dart is a great tramp. I suggest to take 5 days. Take a day off to do a day walk to the dart glacier. Beutiful scenery
Find a park map and get creative. I think I saw 9 or 10 huts in 1 trip in the Nelson Lakes NP by combining the popular Sabine/Travers with D'Urville and Blue Lake areas.
Tramped the rees/dart a while back. A side trip to Casecade Saddle was abandoned due to bad weather. I, early last year, walked the Sabine including Lake Angelus and enjoyed sunset views of the lake and Traverse Range. Plan D'Urville early 2008 has been changed due to The Long Journey canoeing in North Island and I look forward to the longest walk in the Nelson Lakes NP in 2009. At present in Melbourne, I can't find the book "Classic Tramping in NZ", latest edition by Shaun Barnett and terra/map Keweka & Kaimanawa Recreation Area. It is possible to order them online; but freight (shipping fee) is very dear.
The "Classic Tramping in NZ" book was found at Wilderness store in Box Hill this evening. I had a quick look at park map Kaweka, scale 1:100000 (1990?) and have some idea about KKT. I am still after terra/map KK rec. area, scale 1:50000. The book will keep me busy this weekend.
South coast to Farewell, I think Dingle and his Mrs. were the first but there have been others.
Yeah, guide Mike Abbott was the first to actually WALK from the South Coast to Farewell Spit (not jetboat or use snowshoes like Graeme Dingle and his friend who did the traverse one winter circa 1969-1972-ish, and wrote 'Two Against The Alps'. I did a 11-week traverse of the North Island mountains, but I wouldn't recommend it!
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by csuggate
On 19 January 2007
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown