Multi-day off track tramp

Still got quite a bit of planning and organising to do. But thinking of doing the following trip. Would start the trip in the upper Awatere. We would follow the Awatere before turning up the Tone River, we would then cross the tone saddle and head down to Lake McRae. From Lake Mcrae we would follow Elliott Stream down to the Clarence, there is a bluffy section near where it joins which could be tricky. We would then head downstream around 1.2km until we reach Gore Stream and head upstream. We then might follow the 4wd truck at the Willows huts back to civilisation , or might continue upstream further and cross the seaward Kaikoura around Mt Arthur before heading down to civilization. Still have not looked at the Seaward Kaikoura portion of the trip. Would probably have to get permission to cross Muller Station at the start of the camp, The area of molesworth around Lake McRae is open to the public (November-april) and Gore Stream is part of the Clarence Reserve Conservation area. This would be the first 'multi-day' off track tramp I plan to do, Might take 5-7 days. Would attempt it during the Summer and during low flows in the Clarence. So any thoughts, comments on my idea? or am I being unrealistic in attempting such a adventure?
Also might be possible to get picked up by 4wd (assuming DOC permit) at the Willow hut. That would remove the need to cross the Seaward Kaikoura and should shorten the trip by a few days.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by militaris
On 27 November 2008
Replies 1
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown