Tent vs Hammock for Waikaremoana etc

Hey guys, not sure if I should post here or the gear forum so apologies if I got it wrong. I'm looking to start getting kitted out to do Waikaremoana soon and other tramps in the future. Basically I'm trying to decide whether to get a lightweight tent or a Hennessey/similar. A Henessey (with the large hex fly, a self inflating mattress and bubble wind/insulation pads) sound really appealing to me as well as being a bit cheaper and lighter than a good 2 man tent. I've got a good down sleeping bag and thermals which should be warm enough right? On the other hand a tent strikes me as being the more conservative option. Also the DOC site says that camping is only allowed at the designated camp sites, does that mean that I'm going to get hassled by rangers if I string my hammock nearby in the bush? (not trying to dodge camp fees!). It's true that I could just use the huts but I'd prefer to camp out if possible. Anyhow thanks in advance for any advice.
I thought you were allowed to free camp as long as you are 500m from the track. Anyway there's lots of trees at the campgrounds to hang a hammock. I can't imagine you are going to come across too many rangers. If you only have a hammock what do you do when you tramp in an area with few trees?
I think Te Urewera NP (including the lake) is a special case, I believe there are rules about freedom camping because of the cultural sites in the park. Check out the DOC site it has buckets of info. Ive thought about the hammock option, Im of two minds about it, sounds good but I think there would be weight issues involved ie. to damn heavy. I used hammocks and self made A frames in the services, it is great to get up off the ground. Always had a great nights sleep.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by Screwball
On 18 July 2013
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown