Caples Track

1–10 of 15

I am going to walk the Caples track in early April has anybody walked this track and what is the best direction to walk it thanks Lindsay
The northern end is most interesting. Maybe more dramatic south -north. Also you can go on to the Routeburn or Greenstone. Considered that?
Thanks Matthew my plan is to walk the Routeburn then have a day off then walk the Greenstone and then the Caples.I spoke to a ranger at DOCS and she said it is best to do the Mckeller saddle on the first day thanks Lindsay
Hi Lindsay - ah probably because it's the hardest bit. However, if you've already walked all that way you're not likely to have a problem with it. It would be a steep climb up heading south. You could of course walk the Caples first then the Greenstone.
Hi Linsday, If it were me I'd walk it East to West, that way the sights get better as you go from valley to saddle. But you should factor in convenience for your day off - it's very convenient to stay in Glenorchy as opposed to all the way off in Te Anau. See what I mean: http://www.fiordland.org.nz/images/Routeburn-Track-Map.jpg So how about the Caples-Routeburn loop starting Glenorchy, then the Greenstone? That way if you're sightseeing you can get your gear transported over to Te Anau while you do the Greenstone. Also, although it's a nice valley track, the Greenstone may seem a bit less dramatic after the other two, maybe do it first as a warm up (note: you'll be on the Routeburn track for part of the first day if travelling SE).
Thanks Wet Boots for that info sounds like a good idea.I do have another question i walked the kepler in feb 2008 i started the walk from the DOCS office to the control gates then to Luxmore hut,i think it took ubout 7 hours all up how does this compare to The Divide to the Upper caples hut going accross the the saddle and does anyone know anything about the slip at kay Creek caples valley Lindsay
We will be walking the Caples next Feb/March and were also wondering about the slip? Any new updates? Thanks.
Hi - The slip is NOT on the Caples main track - it is on the Kay Ck track on the section between the swingbridge at the Caples end, and the Kay Ck Hut. Unless things have changed with winter river movements, it is only a problem when Kay Ck is running high, and in that case it is not recommended to do this trip because of the number of river crossings involved. The direction of travel Caples/McKellar Saddle depends on two main things (1) which end do you want to start/end at (i.e. Glenorchy to Glenorchy, The Divide to the Divide, The Divide to Glenorchy, or Glenorchy to The Divide AND (2) Whether you prefer to go UP or DOWN the steepest slipperiest section, which is the part between the Greenstone Vly side and McKellar Saddle. Many people use the Caples or Greenstone as a means to start and end the Routeburn on the same side of the mountains, especially if they have a vehicle to go back to and don't carry all of their worldly goods with them so need to go back to pick them up when they are finished the trip. I think both the Greenstone and the Caples Valleys are worth a visit, but time can be a factor. In general people allow one day to go over the Saddle from whichever side, 2 days up or down the Greenstone, one day up or down the Caples. Some people have been known to run it all in a (long) day, or walk in all in 2 (long) days, while others decide to chill out and enjoy the birds & scenery and stay at all the huts instead of rushing through. Hope this helps!
Hi chef.two. We will walk the Greenstone first, starting at the Glenorchy end, and finish at the Divide. We plan to stay at the Mid Greenstone and McKellar huts. We walk to the Divide and bus it to Milford and stay overnight there and then get the plane to Martin's Bay and spend 5 days walking out on the Hollyford Track - after a rest day at Martin's Bay hut. We are getting a lift with the people from Gunn's Camp to the Divide, then walk the Caples, over the saddle the first day to stay at Upper Caples hut overnight and end up back at the carpark at Glenorchy end then boat/bus it back to Queenstown from where we started. This is nearly ten day's tramping with one rest day. Sound feasible? Did you mean you shouldn't do the Kay Creek track when the rivers are running? Thanks.
Kay Ck is a trip that after heavy rain events, or steady rain over a long period, it can be impassable, and therefore certainly not recommended. However, as it is not part of the main route it is not an issue for your trip. What COULD be an issue is the part between McKellar and the start of the climb if there has been significant rainfall, but experienced trampers generally just suck it up and get wet!! There are also river crossings on the Caples side of the saddle, but the two that can become dangerous have a high water by-pass route which allow for access through for all but major rain events. Your planned trip certainly sounds do-able for persons with at least average fitness and backcountry experience, which sounds like you more than qualify! Just a note - you mention "Mid-Greenstone" - this hut is no longer a DoC hut and has been replaced by a new hut at what used to be the site of the Slyburn Hut (nearer to the road end) - this may have been a slip of the tongue on your part, but in case you have an older brochure/map, I just thought it worth mentioning (makes for a shorter first day and longer 2nd day).
1–10 of 15

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by lgwaddel
On 24 September 2008
Replies 14
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown