Articles Need More Exposure

1–10 of 16

It's great to see this site growing and getting some regular contributors. However, getting to the articles is not easy, it would be good if, like the forums, latest articles where featured on the front page, or on their own lead page. It could just be me, but the only way I can find an article is to search, which is not so bad, but it would be nice simply easier to read them as they are uploaded to the site. Just a thought. Great site. Keep up the good work, I should hopefully have a couple of articles to post myself soon.
Yes, they are rather hidden away. Is there a particular article you are thinking of that is hard to find? It helps me think about how better to arrange things....
I have found the switch to make the first page local rather than international. That has helped. When the "article start page" button is hit, it brings up a very good page: http://www.tramper.co.nz/?view=articles Probably just an easier way to get to this page would be great.
I'm having the same issue - especially now the 'local' version is gone. I can list my own articles under 'your contributions' but can find no way of browsing / listing anyone elses. Could we not have a link under 'explore' for articles as we do tracks and huts? I'd like to be able to browse through what people have written and find the hidden gems, rather than just search for articles I already know about by keyword.
OK: I figured you how to get what I want: go to advanced search, select articles, enter no other keywords and press search. Now I can browse articles - but it's hardly intuitive, especially for a new user who may not even know such a thing as an article exists on the site.
OK sure: done. A couple days ago I also rearranged the home page a little, adding the "what's hot" section. My concern was that the interesting stuff was being swamped by the newer stuff. So I shifted "what's new" over to the left. I hope it's a little better. As the site content evolves, the structure needs to be tweaked. For example, the forums have grown in poularity over the past year, necessitating several shifts in prominence. Matthew
Really like the new format, the "Whats new" and "whats hot" are great. Thanks.
Great - thanks for the link to the articles page. Was actually looking for the 'dogs' article to see what there was in the NI, but realised that had I not known it was there I'd never have found it! Yep - like the new layout. No longer have to spot the good stuff before it drops off the bottom of the 'what's new' column. Pity this madpom fella seems to be hogging the front page - move over man, give someone else a chance!
I'm new here & think it's a wonderful site & forum. Having said that, I've been keeping an eye out for Madpom's part-4 & part-5, and would never have known they were posted if not for an incidental mention in a forum thread. Perhaps there is still more exposure these new articles can have on the front/home page? I'm guessing their not listed on "what's hot" because not enough people know they were posted?
Maybe a "More" button for What's Hot would help, like there is for What's New, Forums & Your Watchlist?
1–10 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by Haqii
On 25 August 2008
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown