Help planning when to walk Routeburn in spring

Hi there, My wife and I are planning to walk the Routeburn this spring, and I'm fishing for some feedback regarding when to do it. The plan is to find a time where there is still snow around, but the rivers are full, and little pretty flowers are starting to poke their heads out (All pretty "ideal", but you get the picture.) And if its not too cheeky, we're after some big blue skies too. :-) We're in our 30's, and fairly fit, so snow on the track isn't really a problem. Obviously NZ weather is a real gamble, but there must be some safe-bet weeks in Nov-ish maybe? Thanks heaps for any recommendations and experiances. Chris and Liz
November should be fine. There are no safe bets with the weather. Be prepared for anything and I always say that if it rains, enjoy the waterfalls. There is an avelanche hazard on the Routeburn in spring and I think there has been quite a lot of snow this year. so I would check that out with the DOC visitor centre in Glenorchy, but I suspect it will be OK in November. We were in that area in March one year and flowers were still popping out from under patches of snow as it melted. Christmas time is best for the Mt Cook Lilly I think.
If there is snow on the track it should concern you regardless of your fitness level, dismiss it at your peril as spring is an active time for avalanche activity. However, it is only on a very small portion of the track if at all, so as long as you give it the respect it commands you will be fine. Weather her is at it's most settled during February, again though you can get four seasons in any one day on the track. November is still a bit of a "pig in a poke" as far as trying to guess which weather you will get. The rivers and waterfalls should be active then.
Does anyone know of a track description for the Routeburn from West to East. I can only find description from East to west which is obviously the most popular. We are doing the Caples east to west first and then coming back via the Routeburn. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.
Did the Routeburn west to east recently with my 13 year old daughter. (The one in the photo) The 1st 2 days have a fair component of uphill, but not too demanding assuming a reasonable level of fitness. The 1st day is beneath the bush line most of the way. We started about 10am and stopped at Lake Howden for lunch, It was snowing as we reached the Lake McKenzie hutt about 5pm where we were to spend the night and I spent an anxious evening waiting to see if the snow was going to stop in time to clear before attempting to cross the Harris Saddle. The second day is uphill, exposed and takes you over the summit (Harris Saddle) so keep an eye on the weather. (This section is where most people strike trouble if they are ill prepared) The 3rd day is mostly down hill or flat and below the bush line, it is a nice easy end to the trip. There is some good information here about the track http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/southland/te-anau-area/routeburn-track/plan-and-prepare/what-to-take/ Happy Tramping!

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by ccoutts
On 21 August 2008
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown