The Routeburn Track - Fear of heights

Hello, My husband and I would like to do this hike, but I have a fear of heights. I don't mind being high up and long as there are no cliff edges or shear drops? Can anyone please tell me what it is like? Many thanks, Sadie
I too have a fear of heights, but this is okay. You will enjoy it. A little open above the Hollyford Valley, but not actually a cliff face, but a rather steep, grassy fall away. I believe it can get windy there as well. I'll post a pic of my wife (or me) on it. Just stick close to the closed side and look ahead, but be careful if it is very windy. I hope this helps, Cheers, Peter.
Hi Peter, Many thanks for your reply. I also emailed the DOC and they stated... "On the Routeburn track there are two parts which could be a problem if you have a fear of heights. They are between Routeburn Falls and Harris Saddle the Phoenix Bluffs (please find photos attached) and the zig zags between Mackenzie Hut and Harris saddle. There are also a few swing bridges to cross which also could be difficult for a person with fear of heights". With regard to the places that are a little bit scary, do you remember how long they are? For example would they be a few meters or a few miles? The reason I ask is that I can get through the former a lot better than the latter – the longer I am feeling uncomfortable the worse it gets. Many thanks, Sadie PS - I will try to upload the pic the DOC sent to me!
Hi Sadie. We did this tramp in 2003 so my aging memory is not good. But when you zig zag up from Mackenzie hut (which I don't think is scarey) you come to a turn and then you walk above the Hollyford Valley to Harris Saddle. This is the more exposed section and probably the only one that may cause you a little concern - but as I said, if it is not blowing a gale you will be ok. At this turn we had decided to rest and have a boil up in the sun, but met a mad Kiwi who said the shelter (saddle) was only about 10 minutes away. WRONG. We walked for an hour, maybe more, to get there, so wasn't good for our decrepit backs. So I guess in answer to your question about distance - say an hour along the steep bit. Does this help? Can't find your pic yet, did you see mine - under my name? Cheers, Peter.
Hi Peter, Yes that does help, thanks a lot - I appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinion. If you click on "Photographs", mine is the 3rd pic, I have renamed it to For "Peter - Routeburn Track & a Fear of Heights"

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by sh2008
On 10 August 2008
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown