Hollyford Track

1–10 of 15

Hi in March 2009 we are planing to tramp the Hollyford track as well as the Greenstone and Caples. I use the tramping nz Lonely Planet which is great. Has anyone recently tramped these tracks. We are in our 60's and would like anyones input .We will fly into Martins Bay and walk up the valley,then go onto the Caples.
It is a few years since I have been in the Hollyford but the track is very easy down as far as Lake McKerrow. The Demon Trail down the side of Lake McKerrow used to be notorious for being lots of ups and downs, not sure if it has improved. There is a new hut at Lake Alabaster. Another publication you might like to consider is Moir's Guide Book which gives excellent route guides for that part of the country. The Hollyford is covered in the Southern section while the Caples is mentioned in the Northern section. Unfortunately these are two different books. But there are recent editions out of both and they are well worth the money.
Thanks we will look into getting the books.Cheers, Peter.
To Kate We are also planning to walk the Hollyford in March, starting 10/03/09. There will be 4 of us - 2 male 2 female plus 60's. We will finish & then go onto Caples, Greenstone, Routeburn. Will we get to meet you in this time? Jennz
Hi, this is Peter, Kate's husband. On the 10th we will be at Demon Trail Hut - we are walking from Martin's Bay out. If you are starting from Gunn's Camp end, you will be at Hidden Falls Hut, so we should meet and stay on the 11th at Lake Alabaster Hut. There are 4 of us, late 50's early 60's. Hope to meet up with you! Let us know if this is the way you are walking. Cheers, Peter and Kate Australia.
Thanks so much for replying. We are being flown to Martins Bay on the 10/03/09 & then walking out, gathering food etc in Ta Anau and then back to Divide to walk Caples/Greenstone & Routeburn. Will be in area from 10/03 - 24/03, 25th flying home. Do wish you well on your walking. It is a truely lovely area, I walked the Routburn before.
Hi, we are flying into Martin's Bay on 6th and staying for the 7th as well (our rest day in the 3 tramps), so we'll be about 3 days ahead of you. Are you from Australia? Enjoy.
I don't think there's any need to call other people's plans "gay" just cause you would have planned a different trip :-) Have an awesome time guys.
I have deleted a post from this thread. Use of "gay" as a pejorative is not appropriate although I realise no harm was meant.
Jennz, who are you flying in with?
1–10 of 15

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by kate1946
On 25 July 2008
Replies 14
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown