Bringing hiking food in from australia.

Hi, I have heard different stories about n.z. customs Confiscating dehydrated meals either brought or home made from hikers coming from Australia into N.z. Any advise would be appreciated!
All food must be declared on arrival. That includes dehy. Otherwise there may be an instant $400 fine, and possibly a fine of up to $100,000 and imprisonment. We take bio-security seriously. Simply declare it & have it inspected. I can't help you anymore than that, sorry. You don't like Kiwi kai ?.
Further - DoC says you'll probably be okay, so long as it's declared. "Can I bring freeze-dried food with me to New Zealand? MAF Biosecurity New Zealand allows most freeze-dried food providing it: •is shelf stable •does not require further cooking (only re-hydration) " •is commercially prepared and packaged and is still in its original packaging
We brought in a big pile of sealed dehy meals from the US when we spent several months in NZ -- declared it, a brief visual inspection -- no problem. They were not home made meals -- don't know if that would have made a difference...
I was glared at by a customs official who acted as if I was wasting his time for declaring vacuum sealed freeze-dried ice cream a few years ago. But I followed the rules. It's true it barely qualified as food, and some of it is still in my drawer.
Between Australia and NZ,regarding dehydrated meals or freeze dried, the main concern is for those containing egg, and poultry.
Thanks for the advice, don't think we will risk it.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by Di551
On 16 May 2012
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown