Essential Foods

1–10 of 12

Here is a new offering of dehydrated meals. I haven't tried them yet, so I can't say what they taste like. http://www.efoods.co.nz/index.html The blurb from their home page ... Launched in New Zealand January 2012. Ready made gourmet food storage. Essential Foods is pleased to announce the New Zealand launch of dependable, simple and affordable ready-made freeze dry and dehydrated means for emergency preparedness and outdoor use. The Wise product range provides an assortment of great tasting gourmet food which has a 25 year shelf life, can be prepared in minutes just by adding boiling water and which your family will love to eat. Perfect for unplanned emergencies, backpacking, camping, hunting, fishing, 72 hour emergency food kits, long-term emergency food supply and for everyday use.
waiting 12 minutes seems a little long. not cheap but nor are back country or karweka
it's possible to dehydrate your own food a lot cheaper, either with a food dehydrator or a fan oven on low temp and a bit of experimentation.
For me, such food is expensive, very expensive in fact. You can get it for much cheaper.
Horses for courses. We can all eat much cheaper than we do tend to but these are the other end of the game. Nutritionally you can live happily on daal and rice ground up to a paste so it cooks quick but its nice to have something that tastes from time to time. Its a little like saying hotels are expensive so lets freedom camp.
I have tasted another brand of such kind of food that is cheaper, fairly reputable and considerably tasty. I will not mention the brand just in case other forum members think I am advertising for that brand, even though I normally have no problems sharing good deals with my mates.
The problem with your first post was that it was worded in a manner common to spam posts and because it was your first post it raised a few eyebrows. If it been your 10th post etc it would of been not even noticed by the powers that be. The fight against spam can be a vicious one and unfortunately it seems you got caught in the crossfire
The Kaweka Butter Chicken is the best flavoured Butter Chicken I've ever tasted.
barley grass powder or spirulina mixed in a cup of water to get your greens in a concentrated source.. spirulina is packed with nutrients and protein... spirulina is a great source of iron. i get mine from healthpost online, good price if you buy a reasonable volume, then i decant into smaller containers... they dont have much of a taste to them. i find spirulina tablets don't digest well, you have to chew them or crush them before swallowing or they dont digest properly.
Interesting (spirulina) - never heard of the stuff until now. On first reading sounded like a great way of replacing the vitamins / protein you would normally get from fresh veggies and meat when on long trips. But what puzzles me from looking at the RDIs is that you seem to need to eat similar quantities of it to what you would meat (i.e. ~100g a day) to get enough vitamins / protein out of it. Which makes sense for the traditional uses where it was used to make cakes / soup / porridge, but is hard to picture in tablet form. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_%28dietary_supplement%29 How much do the health shops recommend you take wayno?
1–10 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Buy / sell / exchange
Started by iangeorge
On 25 March 2012
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown