GPX file graphing, May 2008

Hi, I have added charting of tracks and waypoints on GPX files. So now you may download the GPX file or simply view it online. I am looking at improving the way points are associated with objects too. I think it makes sense to do the following: 1) read GPS coordinates directly out of photographs; 2) have GPX waypoints translated into object points for GPX files; 3) be able to transfer points from one object to another (e.g. from a GPX file to a track). Behind the scenes, it's just a regular SQL Server database running things. Until geospatial data handling is built into that platform, there is a limit to what can be done. The other limiting factor is that the coordinates for GPX tracks take a lot of download, being typically around 80kB. This makes them too bulky at this stage to be used in the small maps.
That is super cool Matthew.. thanks for that. This site is now my place of choice for logging tramping data. I like your planned improvements except I am not sure about getting GPS points out of photographs. That means someone has to put them in the photos first. How many people actually do that? From memory the EXIF fields for Lat and Long in jpg files isn't fussy about the format either. What I do is use Gartrip to extract the locations of photos from a track by using the time and date. Maybe you could do it that way. Say if a photo was related to a GPX file then it could match the time and date data from each and get a location for the photo. Mind you that assumes that there is time and date data in either of those files. Saved GPS files have the time and date data stripped and the software I use to compress and resize my photos strips all the Exif data so there are issues here too.
Thanks! More to come. Interesting comments. I note that Flickr supports reading latitude and longitude from photographs. On coordinating time data, actually your GPX files do have time data (see example below) but there would be a need for the camera and GPS to be synchronised. Anyway, I'll do the most useful things first. It would be nice to make elevation profiles from GPX files too. 628.83959962005-06-03T20:57:22Z
Hey the tags disappeared... 628.83959962005-06-03T20:57:22Z
One more time.... [trkpt lat="-39.0793109" lon="176.2587211"][ele]628.8395996[/ele][time]2005-06-03T20:57:22Z[/time][/trkpt]
Some GPS files are mapping and others don't. The Kaimanawa Boundary one that I just loaded isn't. Also the Oamaru to Cascade via the Kaipo isn't. I also notice that recently loaded GPX filesincluding all the ones loaded by ian_from_brisbane do not appear in Explore/GPX Files
Thanks. OK the Kaimanawa and Oamaru - Cascade files are fixed. I found the problem too.
Got that issue with Ian's files too. THANKS for all the bug reports.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by matthew
On 8 May 2008
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown