Updates, May 2008

A bug in the forums meant that new threads were not being shown. Sorry about that! I have made some changes to the way images are stored and handled. This has caused some problems over the past week, but should be resolved now. The changes improve the system's flexibility, making it easier for related images to be shown alongside information, and improving site performance. Recent messages in the forum have been added back to the home page. I have added "Watch lists" as a way to control receipt of notifications when information changes. For example, you can be notified when somebody comments on your photograph. News from your watch list will appear on the home page and on your watch list page (tramper.co.nz/log). This feature will be improved in future. The new trands page indicates what information is popular and rising or falling in popularity. The change log provides a log of updates to the entire site. These is no RSS feed available for this yet, but that will be added.
A couple of unresoled issues withthe photos. I have added a few in Kaimanawa Forest Park so will use that as an example. My two photos "Crossing the Waipakahi" and "Testing my new Olympus Tent" are taken 1km apart. But in the nearby field both show Waipakahi Hut as the nearest photo when each should show the other as nearest. Also if you go to the Kaimanawa Forest Park it says a Gallery of 14 photos and all 14 photos and each of those photos will dutifuly scroll past. However when you click on that button the gallery only shows the oldest 11 photos
Still no luck at adding a photo. Check out my recently added "Triange, a welcome sign"
Dztramping -- OK I've got your photo working. There appears to be a bug in the image processing for the language I'm using here. Anyway, worked around it and your image is fixed.
It has gone through. Thanks.
pmcke, OK both issues fixed. On the first, it turns out the app was taking the first 12 photos *before* sorting them by distance. It needed to sort them first, then take the first 12. On the second, I'm not quite sure as it was working fine on the development server. However, the code was a little olf-fashioned, so I updated it to newer code and somehow it became fixed. ;-) Thanks for picking up on these small issues. It's very easy to overlook them.
LOL.. Yes small issues but as you might have guessed I am a bit of a "spacial nut". I like the way this web site works spacially. So I guess I freak out when I see it not working :-) I am looking forward to seeing those GPX files shown graphicly somehow. By the way, I am not sure if you are aware of Sam Giffney who runs http://www.zenbu.co.nz He seems to be a bit of an expert in interfacing with Google and helped me out with a very nice script to convert addresses into postcodes. He involved with the NZ Open GPS mapping project as well and I am sure could provide assistance to a site like this.
Just one more small issue with the photos. When I look at my own personal photo gallery then my most recent photos are not there.
Also I notice that when I go to Explore and GPX files the newest GPX files are not there
Now just noticed that the huts that have been added by amyamesamos are not appearing in the hut gallery even thogh they are tagged hut. Also Ahhhh! should be in the boot tree

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by matthew
On 4 May 2008
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown