Advice for more Kahurangi Adventures?

Hi all, has anyone done any trips on old unmaintained tracks, current or old trapping routes, or simply off track by bush-bashing? Any suggestions where this might be most interesting? We love the area and have poked around in the bush for a few days off the Heaphy Track, but I'm thinking about going a bit further than that. I would be especially interested in any suggestions in the following areas: 1. Mt Ross / Mt Barr / Gunner Downs 2. The area between Heaphy Bluff / Anaweka River mouth / Gouland Downs, including the whole coastline In particular, for example: A) Old track from Heaphy Hut up Pitt's Creek: Is that still navigable? To what extent? Where is the beginning exactly? B) Is there some feasible way to walk down from the Gunner Downs to Kohaihai Bluff? Where exactly? C) Somewhere opposite the Heaphy Hut on the other side of the river there used to be a path across the Heaphy Bluff. Is that still there? Where exactly? Condition? D) Is there a way to the Kahurangi Lighthouse other than by boat or chopper? E) Starting from the airstrip at the end of Cowin Road, which comes down from the north along the coast, there seem to be a number of tracks. What can you tell me about them, especially the one going up to Raukawa Stream? Is there a feasible way across to the Mackay Downs, or is the Big River too much of an obstacle? F) What is the Mackay Downs Hut? How do people normally get there, if not by chopper? G) How hard is it to get up to Clark Peak from Boulder Lake Hut? T H A N K S ! ! ! Matt
Did you get any responses to your question about the Gunner Downs? Cheers
Dragons Teeth is spectacular

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Mariku
On 8 March 2011
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown