Weather on Tongariro Northern Circuit

Hi everyone. This is my 1st post. Coming to NZ in July for 8 months to work in Auckland. My family of wife and 2 boys (10 & 8 yrs) are keen walkers (Uk Lake District, Snowdonia, Scottish Highlands etc) I've just started researching some extended weekend trips and the Tongariro North Circuit sounds very exciting. Would not want to take children up in winter conditions however. Which is the earliest spring month when we could expect no snow & ice underfoot. (The usual unpredictive nature of mountain weather aside!)
I see on the DOC web site at http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/page.aspx?id=36010 that they say the season is late October to early June but safest from Dec to March. It is actually a tricky question to answer because conditions vary wildly from season to season. I have seen snow up there in November and also happily tramped there in the winter. The main thing to realise that on Tongariro the weather can change very rapidly at any time of year, even in mid summer. You need to be prepared for bad weather at any time of year and also keep plans flexable so that you can turn back if the weather is not good and try again another day. The problem with Tongariro is that it has become very popular with tourists and a lot of them think it is just an easy walk. I have seen some pretty extraordinary sights up there, people in extreme conditions with totally inadequate gear. They started off on a sunny day lower down but as they climb it becomes colder and windier. Enjoy the Northern Circut when you come out. It is a wonderful trip. There are also others, like the Around Ruapehu which you might enjoy as well. There are also plenty of exit points on that trip so it is possible to do part of it and then come back and do the rest later
hi there, If you're here for 8 months, it's probably best just to wait until Jan-March to do it. Even then, the weather can be very changeable. As Pmcke said, it can get very busy. I did at Easter one year, and it was literally just one big queue of people. So, if you can avoid public holidays...
With experience of walking in the Scotiish Highlands, I'm sure you'll be fine on Tongariro Circuit. Dec to Mar is probably a good recommendation but like Scotland the weather can change at any time even in summer. I went over New Year period and the weather wasn't great, wet n windy, though actually the huts weren't full. Easter seems to be busiest bank hol w/end. Another multi-day walk you might want to consider is Lake Waikaremoana, would also be fine earlier in the year too.
Winter on the Tongariro is in my opinion the best time for the experience. Snow and ice add another beautiful dimension to the volcanic alpine environment, with a fraction of the number of visitors summer attracts. However unless you have winter experience with crampons it is best to join in with one of the guided tours. Try our one www.adriftnz.co.nz. Or just email for some advise on weather and great treks.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by jcmriley
On 15 April 2008
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown