Te Araroa Trail

Hi There, I have decided to take on a Te Araroa type trail with my partner at the begining of 2009 and Im looking to gather as much information as I can, to start planning the routes and prepare all the logistics needed to undertake the long trip. Im looking to deviate from the proposed trail as I wish to incorporate as many NZ Great Walks as I can, but I would like to stay in the bush as much as possible. As this is my first time preparing such a big trip I was wondering if any experienced trampers out there could give me some advice.Basically I dont know where I should start preparation wise. Should I go out and buy all the maps, and just plan my journey first. Would the maps from clearwatertarn suffice? My partner and I have been conditioning oursevles with weekly tramping trips and keeping active in the gym but I would also like to improve my navigation skills as much as possible before next year. Any recommended courses out there that teaches these things as well as bush survival skills or should I just purchase some books and learn from there. Any help will be appreciated Smeddy
You will need the 1:50000 scale topomaps, which are all available from Clearwater Tarn. A few years ago I talked to someone planning a trip like this. He planned a route that was beyond his capabilities, did not take an emergency locator beacon, slipped and fell, survived several days before dying. With a beacon, he could have been rescued. The most important point is to plan a realistic route. You need to be sure you are capable of the entire route, not just most of it. Tramping clubs and the NZ Mountain Safety Council run snow skills courses over the winter which might be a benefit to you. Do you have any idea of your route so far?
Hi Matthew, Nothing set in stone yet. For the North Island Id follow the standard route down to Auckland, Catch a boat across to coromandel and head south through the Kaimais/Mamaku down to the Uruweras, Do Lake Waikaremoana, head back to the standard track which I follow up to The Whanganui River, Canoe down the river. Either tramp to Tongariro or Catch a bus from Wanganui to do the Tongariro crossing. Return back to Wanganui where ill go south to Wellignton following Eric Martinots Route (http://www.martinot-nz.info/nztrek/main.htm) Im still working on the South Island part. I think I read about the tramper you mentioned, very sad but I in no way am wishing to make this into some sort accomplishment to test my limits. I just want to see parts of NZ that I havnt before. With the help of more experienced trampers I hope to have a plan for any problems that are likely to happen and shall think that Ill have most things covered within a year. Im not out to prove anything, I dont want to scale any mountains or push myself to the limit, I just want to see more of this beautiful country before I head overseas, and what better way then on the wai wai express :) BTW do you think the North Island is relativly safe compared to the south island? In terms of not being as isolated in some parts. eg, If I fell in the north, my partner wouldnt have as much trouble to find help. If so I think completing the North Island will give me a measurement on whether I can do the South Island or not. If I cant handle the north island im not going to attempt the south island. Thanks for your help Craig
Oops I mean Matthew hehe I was just talking to a Craig lol
Good luck with your trip. Sounds like a wonderful project if you have the time. As regards safety, NZ has a maritime climate so weather can change very rapidly and without a lot of warning. This can happen in the North Island as well as the South. You need to be prepared for anything, anywhere. Certainly you are likely to strike colder conditions the further south you go and more extreme changes the further west you go. Generally it is hard to say whether the South is more challenging than the North. There are some very remote places in the North Island too and there are also easy routes in the South. You will be able to find routes to suit your level in both islands. I think the problem will be endurance and how much time you wish to spend on it. As for your North Island leg, I like what you are doing down to the Kaimai Mamaku area. From there remember the remoter areas of the Urewera National Park, the Whirinaki Forest, the Pureora Forest and the Kaimanawa Forest Park. None of these have Great Walks but they all have supurb tramping in them and good huts as well. Yes, best not to try and prove anything. This sort of trip is to be enjoyed. Allow time to come out for breaks and then launch into it again. Good luck
Where are you from by the way? I assume from what you have said so far that you are from overseas
If I had to choose an easier island I would say North Island, but it's still hazardous of course. Check out the North South Track through Kaimai Mamaku if you haven't already.
Hi Pmcke, Nope im from Pukekohe hehe, My Girlfriend and I have been saving to travel overseas for our OE, but one thing we realised is that we have seen so little of our own country. As we had started tramping and getting into all sorts of outdoor activities early last year we decided what better way to see NZ than by doing the Te Araroa trail. As for time, I have unlimited really, ill most probably try and do most the trip in Summer, Hopefully next years summer lasts as long as this years did. Matthew, Ive checked out the North South Route. Im thinking about doing it, the Waikaremoana Great Walk or the Tongariro Crossing in June and another one in August to get my experience up and possibly drop those great walks from the Te Araroa trail. Ill be back after the weekend with a gear list for you to scrutinise. Thanks guys
Hey there, We've just walked the length of New Zealand. Just updated our website with route information. www.nzunderfoot.com You may find some other useful information there. We're happy to answer any questions if you have them. E-mail's on the website. Alice and Dennis

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Smeddy
On 26 March 2008
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown