What is it that people want to chat about?

I'm asking because there doesn't appear to be much chatting going on here in the forums. Would be nice to have a more active participation don't you think? Just asking the question!
49 comments
31–40 of 49

Thanks Chris, makes me feel young just thinking about it. It must have been nice to see these people out there doing the things they obviously loved to do and still able to do it. Like you I have ambitions to keep on trucking for many years yet, plus an ambition that most will think insane! Obviously the key is health, without which you may want to, but sadly can't. Personally I'm not into fitness training as such, other than raising the elbow with a glass of wine on the end, but I like to think that my job keeps me on the good side of healthy. With health comes the desires that can be realised. Knowing that the only thing stopping you from doing what you want to do, is you, is kind of sobering and in some cases motivating as well (once the realisation has sunk in). So how's the planning going for your attempt on Te Araroa? Hopefully very good, both financially and logistically!
have only been to the south island twice, once when i was 14 for a school trip, vaguely remember going for a walk in the nelson lakes area, and the last time was 2 years ago to do the milford track which was superb, would love to head back to do alot more but its the same old story- time and money! however i will definately be going back. you will have to come and climb mt taranaki normclimb, its still worth doing, time and again, just for the views, if you get them!
Would love to do Taranaki one day, and seeing as how you seem to be the local expert on the mountain I may well call on your expertise! I find it quite strange, though I do of course understand all the reasons, especially the financial ones, but to be so close to the South Island and not getting there seems to me to be almost a sin (hope you're not religious?). OK, so it's alright for me to say that from the other side of the ditch, I know. Sorry!
i have to agree, it is a sin, i look at photos on this website of the the south island and start drooling!, would love to be getting down there and its something that i plan to do in the future. fitting truck tyres is not the best payed job in the world although i have to say it does keep me pretty fit! am lucky i have a great mountain on my back doorstep i guess so at least i can go tramping without much travelling-the closest track start is just a 15 minute drive away!
Lucky you having some tracks so close. I'm sure you'll make the South Island all in good time and when you do you'll want to go back time and time again.......I do anyway! So when are you doing 'your' mountain for the 14th time?
not sure, doing an overnighter this weekend to my favourite hut with a mate so it can wait, may get up there in a few weeks, depends what the wx does, dont have any winter climbing skills so am only able to do it in the summer months. is there any tramping close to where you are?
I would have thought winter skills would be relatively easy to get in NZ where you have some of the best mountaineers in the wolrd, plus some of the most beautiful mountains in the world. I hope you enjoy this weekend's tramping. I'm from Sydney so whilst there are some good tramps in and around Sydney, for example the Blue Mountains, unfortunately they hold nothing for me. They are not real mountains and no snow, so whilst there are some extremely good rock climbs around unfortunately being of 'mature' age I am not into rock hopping any more, much prefer the long slog up big hills, like the ones you have in NZ. One day I hope to convince my wife that NZ is the place to be, but this may take some time!
there are usually winter climbing courses held in winter, looked into it last year, alhough i think it was cancelled due to lack of interest, and i think they want you to join the alpine club, have a mate who has some skills so may have to head out with him in winter, i would have thought it would not be hard to convince your wife to move over here, good things take time i guess!
Winter skills are always good to have as only then you can really enjoy winter tramps or climbs with confidence. Coming from the UK I spent many of my former years in the mountains of Scotland, which is a magical, yet potentially deadly place to go climbing with little or no basic winter skills, as to is NZ of course. As for moving to NZ? One day!
Just posted a thread Women Trampers in Tramping Partner section relates to some of your earlier comments
31–40 of 49

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by normclimb
On 24 March 2008
Replies 48
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown