What is it that people want to chat about?

1–10 of 49

I'm asking because there doesn't appear to be much chatting going on here in the forums. Would be nice to have a more active participation don't you think? Just asking the question!
i am happy to talk about anything to do with tramping!eg- where you went in the weekend, new places to go, anything!, even if if was easy daytramps like i did over the weekend!it is still good to get out and about and enjoy some tramping no matter how far you go!
Thanks Russy, so am I only too willing to chat about anything to do with tramping, plus anything else people want to chat about as well. My point I guess is that it seems that very few, yourself excluded, appear to want to chat at all. I think forums like these are ideal places to gain knowledge, share tips and experiences and generally get to know others who share a passion for the great outdoors, unfortunately this doesn't seem to be happening very much. Although there are numerous sections where information is sought and expereince passed on, the posts themselves are few and far between. I just thought it would be nice if this forum became a little more active with regular participation from all the members, hence the question posed as to what it is that people want to chat about? In respect to our mutual love of the wilderness there are many interesting topics that could be discussed and could lead to some interesting debates. It's just a shame that currently this doesn't look like happening. We live in hope I guess!
yes it would be nice to see the forums a little bit more active, maybe some people are a little bit shy about voicing their opinions?, i also dont mind talking about anything as long as we dont have to talk about the cricket!
I think you might be right about some people being shy though already having joined this site I think everyone should be at home voicing their opinions here. It would really be nice to have some on-going discussions about all manner of things, for example what are people's views on cairns, should there be any or not, in other words, if you have to rely on cairns then perhaps they shouldn't be out there in the first place, or should also know how to use a map and compass, or is climbing worth the risk, both to the individual and to those they leave behind should anything go wrong? Of course there are a myriad of other topics that could be discussed, but they need active participation if they are not to die the death of a thousand days with no replies. Anyway, those are my thoughts and that's why I posed the question in the first place.
in regards to being able to use a map and compass, i have to confess i am not that confident in using them, i think its a case of having learnt years ago but not keeping up with practising using them, i do go off track a bit although up mt taranaki its not hard to find a track again. nevertheless i think it is a good skill to have as you never know when you may need to use a map and compass, especially in unfamiliar territory
As I would say in such a situation, you may not be where you ought to be, but as long as you know where you are, you should be OK. Not perhaps the best method of navigation but I know what you mean about using it or losing it. I think many people would quietly admit to not being the best with map and compass, myself included. The basics are quite easy to mater but when you add in all the variations, true, magnetic, declination etc etc, it does get a bit confusing, and even more so depending on where you are exactly. Both the poles are notorious for accurate positioning with just map and compass alone. I agree that it is a good skill to master but like all skills it is a matter of necessity that one uses it regularly.
I feel the main problem with the forum is the current layout and format. Once it gets a couple of updates and becomes more user friendly I suspect it would gain in popularity. NZ really needs a good tramping forum. The link to the forum is also quite hidden as a sub-menu. One of the main reasons I read tramping/hiking forums is to get information on peoples views on new equipment and gear. The international forums are fine, but lack content on the brands which are locally designed.
id like some advice on tracks i am considering. need some tough tracks near auckland to hit to train for big plans next summer further afield anyone know any good tough steep tracks that i dont have to drive for days to get to??
I agree that the layout is a little off putting and doesn't lend itself to easy reading and identification of new posts, and I'm sure that a bit of tweaking would work wonders for most people, but in general both the topics mentioned above.....gear and trails..... are catered for already and my point is aimed more at the non specific discussion areas that are non existent in any of the forums. I suppose I like to court a bit of controversy now and again and would like to see more in-depth, and on-going debate on issues that offer a possible variation of opinions. As already mentioned above I feel there are many issues relating to the great outdoors that could provide an interesting exchange of ideas, and I'm hopefull that many people would like to be involved in, but are sadly not an agenda item in any of the current forums. This in no way meant to devalue the present forums as they have some interesting topics and comments, but, I feel, are sadly under used.
1–10 of 49

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by normclimb
On 24 March 2008
Replies 48
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown