Printing Maps To Scale

1–10 of 11

Kia ora, happy holidays. I guess I'm old school for not having a smart phone or GPS (and even if I did, I'd want back up paper). Anywho, with the LINZ and topomap websites having quite functional online mapping services, it'd be great to take advantage of printing the areas I actually want for tramps rather than buying 3 sheets for $30 because my 2 night tramp happens to cross different sheets. But I'm having some trouble printing from them. While living in the UK for the last few years, I used a mapping service that would allow me to easily divide the depiction of the map into a3 sheets then print those at my chosen scale. It doesn't seem LINZ of topomap offer that. Topomap doesn't appear to print to the scale of the map (just the scale of the projection in browser, which isn't the same as it should be printed - making your 1:50k maps something like 1:47,345 and pretty hard to measure distances accurately with!) LINZ lets you download JPEGs at the correct scale, but you free draw the print area, which requires a lengthy battle with photo editing software and pdf software to only print the sections required. First world problems, I know. Anyway, for those of you who print your maps, what is the procedure you've found that works for you? Is there a service that lets you print chosen sizes at the correct scale? Caltopo offers it for $50usd a year, but I'd rather give my money to an NZ company if I was going to do that.
Came across this: https://maps.walkingaccess.govt.nz/ Which might be the easiest to use. Unfortunately I can't find a way to add a grid to it.
Topomap allows you to scale a section of map to a page easy enough and has a grid which equals 1km per square but as the scale is freestyle it is hard to actually measure. 1 map you print might have 1cm per km the next 3cm per km. Ive just visulised the square in tenths and it has been good enough
So you need the 1km2 grid on your custom 1:50k topomap to be exactly 20mm x 20mm on your printed copy?
Geeves, indeed - at one point I worked out the scale, and it's a little off by a couple of mil, depending how zoomed in you are when you generate the map. It's a shame you can't lock it to 50k! And Chriss, yep. I suppose I could generate a script or overlay in photoshop without too much hassle, but it'd be nice to have the long/lat reference as well! Again, not necessary, and given that walking access (and LINZ) can print at precisely 1:50k, you can of course measure distances where accuracy is needed. I suppose I'm just used to having the grids there.
I've made a custom wall map by downloading four Linz Geotiff maps, aligned them together in MS Paint and cropped and tweaked from there. Pretty sure if I had printed the image at "actual size", the grid would be 20x20 mils
2 things I would love on those maps. However Im a freeloader on that service. Accurate gridlines when printed. Ive worked round this for my purposes but it would be nice to print to a known scale Magnetic compass bearing. Paper maps have this so you can set the map to a magnetic compass. If used on a device the problem goes away but the paper backup works better when its flat.
Yeah I'd love that too. I wouldn't mind paying a subscription if those features were premium priced or something. Caltopo seems good, but again would prefer to pay an NZ service!
The <a href="https://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap?v=2&ll=-44.593133,168.640161&z=13" target="_blank">topomap website</a> gives you standard 1 km gridlines. You can get a consistent zoom level by going to the maximum zoom level and then clicking on the zoom out [-] button a consistent number of times. When you use the print function, you get a consistent A4 rectangle which you can position over the area you want to print. That way, you can print multiple sheets at a consistent scale, and perhaps a zoomed out overview sheet of the whole route. It's definitely easier to estimate progress if you get used to a particular scale/zoom level, but to my mind I don't feel the need for it to match exactly a standard scale such as 1:50 000 or 1:25 000 as I can read kilometres off the grid. I'll assemble a PDF document of the sheets I need then print it on A4 double sided on a colour printer. Often 4 sides = 2 sheets is enough. Watch out for some of the older inkjet printers, I recall some of the inkjet ink is not waterproof. I'm not sure if that is still the case.
In Topomap, the "50" button sets the 1:50,000 scale on your screen. The problem is when you print the pdf, by default, it shrinks the output to suit the margins of your printer. You should be able set your pdf software to print at 100% (ie not scaling to fit).
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by dreambroom
On 26 December 2021
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown