Sufficient food for 3 day Tongariro Circuit?

I'm going to walk the Tongariro Northern Circuit in 3 days, starting at Mangetepopo and finishing in Whakapapa. Going to walk with my 9yo daughter. I've calculated that I need 3500 calories a day, my daughter 2500. So for 3 days that's 18000 calories. For breakfast we'll eat rolled oats + milk powder. Lunch will be vita weat crackers + cheese, and dinner dehydrated pasta with chocolate as dessert. As snacks I'll bring peanuts, muesli bars and dehydrated fruit. Got an Excel sheet with all foods, including calories, and I estimate we need about 4500 grams of food for the 2 of us for 3 days, for 19000 calories, so an extra 1000 calories. I've focused on high calorie foods, e.g. got 1000 grams of peanuts, 500 gram cheese, 400 gram chocolate, 100 ml olive oil. I understand a bit more extra would be better, but as I'll be carrying most of the weight, I want to try to be as light as possible. Does this all sound right? Any suggestions?
Sure, that should be fine. Maybe throw in some chocolate or similar to eat in the evening and/or lunch as at the hut is a time I always find I snack. Really you will only learn what you need by getting out and tramping but for a shorter trip like the Northern Circuit it is going to be pretty hard to under feed yourself and your daughter.
Remember to take at least one day extra provision. It doesn't need to be meals, but some dense calories/protein in case you are stuck there for an extra day (or so). Or some sort of treat you can eat after you finish the tramp.
Remember to take at least one day extra provision. It doesn't need to be meals, but some dense calories/protein in case you are stuck there for an extra day (or so). Or some sort of treat you can eat after you finish the tramp.
One thing I found with my kids when they were around that age on multi-day tramps is that they preferred to snack frequently over larger meals. Having a variety of things rather than the same food every day worked better too, for example different types of muesli bars or maybe some fruit biscuits, different dried fruits and nuts, or some potato chips that come in a tube, and nothing wrong with using some extra chocolate as bribery. Another tactic for lunches is to have wraps and allow them to choose between whatever fillings you have. The occasional packet of 2 minute noodles also gets devoured too.
Thank you everything! Think we're good to go :) @nzbazza Good suggestions, I've got a variety of foods. And she has a bunch of sweets, she's very good at planning out when to have the next piece of candy :D

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by boland
On 20 December 2021
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown